Why become a member? ×

Skunk stripe problem

ead

I have a MIM P bass where the skunk strip on the back of the neck appears to be a bit "loose" at the headstock end in that it works its way out a little (0.5mm proud). It can be pushed back in to be perfectly flush quite easily but then works its way out again.

I presume this can be fixed easily enough (what is the best way) but is it symptomatic of a a deeper problem?

All advice/suggestions welcome.

These are just to cover the hole where the trussrod goes in. It shouldn't be under any tension or anything itself. It should just be a matter of glueing it back. But you'll need to be careful you don't get glue on the rod and you'll need to refinish a bit after. My 70s J neck actually has a piece of the skunk stripe missing at the heel end and you can see the rod behind it. works fine though. Its probably more of an issue at the head end.

It's likely that ths just come loose I don't think the truss rod would have pushed it out.

Hi there,

Loose skunk stripes are quite common particularly on older fenders. It's not really cause for concern but I would defo take it to a luthier to get it sorted and check there's nothing else going on. If you get it sorted you want it to be a permanent thing so I'd highly recommend going that route.

Hope that helps