Why become a member? ×

MIJ/CIJ better than MIM Fenders

Andy Hodson

The Fenders that I own (see sig) are all well set up and all of them play and sound great. Any differences are pretty minor.

Fender are [u]masters[/u] at marketing their products.

The material differences between MIM, MIA and MIJ are far smaller than the asking prices would suggest. The most expensive one that I own has a selling price of around three times the price of the cheapest.

Genius!! :)

Frank.

Thanks for the interesting comments. I didn't realise that the some of the components were actually different. I appreciate that MIA versions are almost bound to have a higher price tag because of labour costs but I've never got my head around why the differences should be so large. The comment about Fender being masters of marketing is probably right.

My fender P is a1989 MIJ that I bought new and before I knew of all these subtle variations. I've been very pleased with it, although I have a nagging worry that not having much experience of other basses might mean that I'd actually be better off with something different . . . . but I guess that how GAS begins!

Thanks for the info guys. I was just wondering is all as I've seen a few MIJ/CIJ online for the old fender mexican prices (2006-2008) and it certainly piqued my interest as I think that £510 for a new MIM jazz is a bit steep. I bought my p for about £350 in 2007 and didn't think it was worth much more.