Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Dave G says Hi

2004gdavi

Hi there everyone

I'm new to sites like this but thought it would be good to join a community and you can't get better than bass players. I'll tell you a bit about myself.

I started playing orchestral double bass more years ago than I care to remember. Whilst at high school I got my first bass guitar - a Rossetti for £15 - and it was crap and I sold it shortly afterwards.

Since then I moved through a series of basses until I settled on a 1978 Fender Precision fretless and a Jaydee GA24, which was custom built for me in 1987.

I've played in orchestras and groups but mostly in big bands. I used to play regularly until about 15 years ago when I stopped due to family commitments. As my children are now much older I'm now playing again and enjoying every minute.

Having taken such a break it's amazing to see how much things have changed - in the industry, through technology and the wealth of information now available (including this site). Mostly these things are for the better but I do have my doubts about the kareoke programmes on the old goggle box.

Other than the basses mentioned I have a double bass, Fender Jazz fretless, Ashbory bass and Hagstrom 8 string (if you haven't tried one of these then give it ago). I also play guitar, but not very well, and have a Fender Strat and Ibanez something or other.

For amplification I have my trusty old Trace Elliot 15 inch combo with a bright box of 4X5 inch speakers and GP11 graphic. I've also got a PJB briefcase for practice and and Orange Terror Bass amp with 2X10 cab for something a bit different.

Thankfully my son also plays bass so the equipment can be used there as well. However, he's building his own collection of guitars.

I hope this has given an insight and I look forward to reviewing the site in the future.

Keep on spreading the word of the Bass

All the best

Dave