Why become a member? ×

So, I've just bought an upright

risingson

Hello everyone! This is the first time I have ever posted in the Double Bass/EUB part of the site.

I've just taken the plunge and got an upright. A while back, I was sat in a friend's garage enjoying a few brewskis when out of the corner of my eye I spotted a double bass in its case. She told me it was her dads and that he never played it, so I suggested whether he'd entertain the idea of selling it to me. He said no. Gutted! Fast forward a few years and I asked again... and this time he said yes. I was happy to oblige, so I've picked it up today and have been having tremendous fun with it. I've always wanted one, as there's a lot of hip-hop, latin and jazz music I love that is all upright.

As far as I can gather, the bass was made in Czechoslovakia and after a bit of research I have discovered it to be a 1/2 size. It's got a Selmer London sticker on it. Can't figure out whether it's any good or not yet but it certainly looks the part! I know literally squat about the instrument and how to play it, so I'm starting from scratch again really. Well aware that it's a very different instrument to the electric bass though, so to warn you ahead of time I'll be using this part of the site to ask some very silly questions from time to time!

I'm delighted :D

Edited by risingson

[quote name='Monckyman' timestamp='1325548753' post='1484398']
Congrats, it`s a really nice feeling owning an upright.
Now go and talk to your bank manager because you will need strings, a bridge (probably) and a pickup (inevitably).
:D
[/quote]+1 to both.

Thank you very much everyone. I'm already feeling the burn, so I'm taking it easy for now, 10-15 minutes at a time, I don't want my left arm breaking because I'm a regular gigging electric player! I've found some useful info on good pizz technique and warming up, which I may as well share with you all as I found it helpful:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYZZOmiHVpk&feature=related

Other than that, I've just been having my mind blown by the likes of Christian Mcbride and Dave Holland. I find it insane that there are players like those guys out there, it's such a physically demanding instrument and so much is required of you so to display such awesome musical credentials on such a tough instrument is nothing short of stupendous!