Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Allo!

Pastor

Hello everyone, well everyone who reads this of course.

Colin from north Wales here, I last played bass back in the late 70s, had a Fender Jazz and played in a few punk bands but please don't hold that against me. Well I'm always wittering how much I used to enjoy playing so the missus bought me a MiM Jazz for crimbo and a little Vox headphone amp. Furnished it with a set of Rotosound 66s and am having a good time learning again.

Sounds all good, well yes but I have one problem, I cut the top off my 1st fretting finger to the base of the nail bed and severely damaged the tendons in my 2nd fretting finger about 10 years ago. The 2nd finger will be fine with time but the 1st is giving me some problems, it is sensetive as hell and too short. I bought some Polymorph (heat mouldable plastic) and made myself a custom thimble and stuck a bit of leather on it but it's nowhere near ideal, bulky and no sensitivity at all, like playing with a boxing glove on! Any ideas out there?

Cheers all, and to all who do read this, happy new year!

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the welcome guys, sorry about the tardy response, no excuses I'm just crap all round!

Yeah, painfull it was, still is but the plastic thing works to an extent, a little bit bulky and no sense of what I'm touching but it coming along. I think I might try and make a hybrid version, much thinner plastic with a layer of silicone betwen it and the leather pad to see if I can get some sense of touch through it.

Strange, after 30 years of not playing and being 100% convinced I'd forgotten I'm still as rubbish as I ever was :unsure:

Not sure about the guy from Saxon but certainly Django had two badly damaged fingers that could only be used for fretting the high strings for a chord occasionally. Tony Iommi has the same sort of damage to me and look what he has done over the years so I have no excuse! The good thing is that I can still feel the old finger tip so with the thimble on it feels less odd that it sounds probably because the end of it is where I expect it to be if that makes any sense. It's good to have a bass again especially such a nice one and I'm having a great time messing about with it