Why become a member? ×

sterling ray 35 neck issue ?

mushers

hi all just in need of some advice on this

wifey bought me a sterling ray just after xmas i was going to have a stingray after playing one for a while in the shop, but was struggling with the concept of me having a bass that cost more than her car.
i asked the shop if they had any sterling rays for me to try and was delighted to hear they had one out the back, i tried it loved it and couldnt see £800 differnce between it and the ray.

got the bass home played for a bit and noticed fret buzz on the lower register >.< seems i had been so busy mucking about with knobs and swites i hadnt noticed.
the shop i bought it from are a long way away i did call them and they said to bring it back for there tech to have a look however this meant me driving there droppping it off and collecting another day so i took it to a local guitar shop as the cost of fuel was about the same as the repair

fret buzz all gone ! plays like a dream but i was also told there was no more relief left in the truss rod

what do you guys think ? im hoping the neck should not be bending backwards anymore with the strings pulling forward but ive been wrong before (like when i walked out of a shop with a bass that came straight out of the box)

the shop where i bought it from also gave me a 4 year warranty but im still losing sleep also a bit hard to complain about a fret buzz when its gone now

Edited by mushers

If the truss rod really has run out of relief then you're going to be screwed later down the line should you decide to use a lighter gauge of string or if the bass needs a maintainance 'tweak'.

The warranty will cover defective parts, it's unlikely they'll cover free setups for 4 years so I'd be inclined to speak to the shop you bought it from ASAP and get them to resolve the issue.

just picked this bass up from the retailer after explaining my concerns with the truss rod and the guy had tightened it so i had a neck that was 100% straight <_< and more buzz on the low end than ever.
However after a quick adjustment when i got home i know have a healthy curve at last and no buzz unless i get a bit heavy handed but even then with new strings its very little
im thinking this bass did not like to be in their warehouse all winter

• 1 month later...

well it seems this bass was not meant to have a happy life the buzzing got worse and worse, i took it back to the shop told them i wanted a refund as the neck was floppy !
this time a different guy looked at it and accepted there was a serious issue and sent it back to strings and things where it was beheaded and a new neck bolted on
lovely bass to play now no little niggles so far :P

excellent result, you just sometimes get an instrument with an unstable or very sensitive neck, and end up never satisfied, having to tweak it every time the temperature changes. You saw it through well and got something you should be happy with and confident in.