Why become a member? ×

Rack Tuner Advice

JustaBass

I have a Thunderfunk 550 and a Korg DTR1000 in my rack. I am new to a rack set up
can someone please advise me on how to connect my cables correctly, so that i can
tune up using the mute function on the dtr and have it set up so that my overall sound
is not affected by the tuner.

I have done some searching online but am still a bit unsure if this is even possible.If not
is there a rack tuner which would do this job correctly or am i forced to get a stomp tuner
instead.

To use the mute function you need to plug bass into the tuner, then the tuner output to the input on the amp (which is not ideal as the jack from the back of the tuner needs to come to the front of the amp) then press the mute button on the tuner. To use it more effectively (and what I used to do) connect it up with a non-muting style, so you plug bass into amp, then the tuner out from the amp goes to the input on the back of the tuner (so your bass signal does not use the tuner to reach the amp or cab) then use the mute button on the amp instead (or turn volume to zero if you do not have a mute switch).

[quote name='pantherairsoft' timestamp='1325079667' post='1479595']
To use the mute function you need to plug bass into the tuner, then the tuner output to the input on the amp (which is not ideal as the jack from the back of the tuner needs to come to the front of the amp) then press the mute button on the tuner. To use it more effectively (and what I used to do) connect it up with a non-muting style, so you plug bass into amp, then the tuner out from the amp goes to the input on the back of the tuner (so your bass signal does not use the tuner to reach the amp or cab) then use the mute button on the amp instead (or turn volume to zero if you do not have a mute switch).
[/quote]

Thanks for reply if I understand you correctly both your suggestions involve me using the tuner out which is on the front of the thunder funk which for me is not ideal as all
my rack spaces will be full I was hoping to keep everything in the back of the case.
At the moment it is run from the tuner in to the pre eq effects return of the thunder funk can you advise further.

[quote name='pantherairsoft' timestamp='1325083938' post='1479642']
As the kind folk at Thunderfunk have put the tuner out on the front you're a bit stuck, u less you can use a drill to make a small hole along one edge of the rack and use a thin cable (like George L's) to connect them.

Tuner out on the front!! Madness!
[/quote]

Ok thats that then i presume any other way of connecting it will affect the sound.

many thanks for your help pantherairsoft.

Do you use your EQ totally flat? It's not ideal, but if you don't use the amp EQ, you could always go Bass into tuner input, output on back of tuner to effects return of amp. This would connect fine but bypass the preamp section of the amp, so you would basically be using a power amp with the 'flat' EQ flavour of the head.

[quote name='pantherairsoft' timestamp='1325155247' post='1480249']
Do you use your EQ totally flat? It's not ideal, but if you don't use the amp EQ, you could always go Bass into tuner input, output on back of tuner to effects return of amp. This would connect fine but bypass the preamp section of the amp, so you would basically be using a power amp with the 'flat' EQ flavour of the head.
[/quote]

I do tend to use a bit of EQ so probably not a good idea, have looked at george L's website and may give your suggestion of a small hole a try.
If i get one of his right angled coaxial patch cables to go in the Tuner out that may look reasonably tidy as it sits fairly flat against the case.

All this probably sounds a bit anal :D but what the hell.

I may be getting a DBX 160a compressor soon and will probably need advice on how to connect that too :o

Yeah, a pair of Right angle Georgle L plugs and then a length of cable. You cut the cable to length so it will be fairly precise.

Hot Rox sell the cable by the Meter and the plugs...
Cable: http://www.hotroxuk.com/guitar-accessories-links-847-0/guitar-cable-links-6145-0/george-l-cables-and-plugs-10001-0/george-l-cable-155-black.html
Plugs: http://www.hotroxuk.com/guitar-accessories-links-847-0/guitar-cable-links-6145-0/george-l-cables-and-plugs-10001-0/george-l-s-plug-angled-nickel-155.html
And if you want to be anal and keeping things black against the amp, a couple of little covers: http://www.hotroxuk.com/guitar-accessories-links-847-0/guitar-cable-links-6145-0/george-l-cables-and-plugs-10001-0/george-l-jackets-155-angled-plugs.html

I used to use a DTR1000 and got fed up of being unable to tune silently.

I could mute my cabs using the switch on the rack, but 99% of the time we use PA support so although it was silent on stage, everyone in the crowd heard what was going on.

This was though the effects send on my amp.

Pity really, because the Korg tuners look fab on stage and do the job pretty well. I've swapped mine for a pedal now.