Why become a member? ×

Differing volume and pick up balance

Marvin

I think, and I stress think, I'm getting a slight decrease in volume when using both pick ups on my Ibanez SR300. I can't figure out if it's just a tonal difference or I'm getting a slight spike in volume when I'm just using the neck pick up. The bridge pick up seems less of an issue if at all.

Before I consult a luthier and battery change aside, are there any checks I can do or what sort of issue might this be?

Cheers

[quote name='ShergoldSnickers' timestamp='1324811016' post='1477903']
With both pickups on, there will be some phase cancellation, usually leading to a more 'scooped' sound. This would cause a drop in output across the mids. Is this what happens? Or is the drop at the bass end? Or both?
[/quote]

Thank you Ian, no drop in bass, well I don't think so. With your description of phase cancellation and a drop in output across the mids, this sounds (ooh a pun :)) exactly what is happening.

I've never noticed it before, probably because I usually just play with both pick ups on.

Thanks again.

With different basses (and six-string double humbuckers), I've had the mid position sometimes drop the perceived volume and sometime raise it. Some of it is often the tonal difference but there is probably something else going on with paths and treble bleed etc etc. In practice, however, you can usually get the volume balance you want with small adjustments (1/4 turn for starters) of the neck and / or bridge pickups until you have it where you want it, both from tone or volume.