Why become a member? ×

To defret or not to defret my Wal Custom Mk1

bassatnight

Been listening to Percy Edwards? Mick Karn? He's the reason I went to the factory in' 83 to meet Wal and Pete, had a coffee while they put together a left handed fretless just for me to see what a Wal was like. They made me feel worthy of their craftsmanship. :)
I ordered a Shedua faced Custom fretless. Sh is beautiful. but I did something very bad....

About 7 years ago I had my Wal 1984 custom fretted, having worn the fretless fingerboard down 3 times and there wasn't enough ebony left to take another layer off (roundwounds and agressive grip)
Couldn't afford a new fingerboard so £70 got me some frets.

I regret it. Sounds great, but I messed with a work of art.
Don't do it! why not have a fretless neck made for it? then yo have the original should you get bored with fretless.
I think it would take a long time for the guy now making Wal basses. he is snowed under and always will be.
Anyone you know who could make a replica neck?

Edited by leftyhook

[quote name='throwoff' timestamp='1324630772' post='1476358']
There are a lot of good basses in the 1500 price range especially second hand.

I have seen more than a few fretless Warwick thumb NT's go for that kind of money over the past 12 months.
[/quote]Absolutely. Chances of a Wal fretless turning are not impossible, but slim. You could wait........................................................................... :mellow: .....................................................................................or.............................take on board what Throwoff said. Even my W. Rockbass has a lovely singing tone to it, so a Thumb will be awesome.
I already said that I feel I have stripped my Wal of it's originality. And conversions don't always work. Wal and his team would have suggested specific woods
to get an nice fretless sound. Mine hasn't really got the fretted sound I wanted as it is designed as a fretless ( I may be shot down for this!), although it has
the Wal sound, it is a little darker than the sound I was hoping for with frets on.
Whatever you choose mate, please use flats. You will end up with nasty buzz spots unless you are a really light player.
I highly recommend d'addario Chromes. forget £40 from the high street. go to Stringsandbeyond. half the price from the USA

Cheers guy's, I love my fretted Wal and it woul be a last resort to change her. I have played a ton of fretlesses but the Wal is by far the sweetest I have played I just love that woody sound. Might look out for a fretless Thumb.

I missed out on a Wal Fretless a few weeks back for £1,500 at Bass Direct but it was the cheaper passive pro and I though £1,500 was a little steep.

I then thought sod it and it was sold!

A wal Fretless neck would put me back some £850!