Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Calling all Rickenbacker gurus...

Thor

Evening All,

I'd like to pick all you Ricky gurus brains if I may - I've just purchased a used 2004 Rickenbacker 4003 which I'm very happy with :D but I have a couple of queries regarding general operation and maintenance I'd like some help with please, so here goes:

I've noticed that with the pick up selector switch set to the middle position both volume controls work independently, with the switch in the down position (neck pick up?) the Treble Volume pot doesn't seem to have any effect and vice versa (pick up switch up the Bass Volume has no effect on output volume) - I hope this makes sense and was hoping that some kind soul would confirm whether this is correct?

I've also noticed that when playing hard (digging in) the E string sometimes will foul the pole piece on the the neck pick up and occasionally the bridge pick up pole piece as well, causing quite a loud clicking noise, the action is quite high (leaning towards high) so I was thinking perhaps I'll set it up to suit my preference, so that brings me to my next query - how do you adjust the bridge/tailpiece? I can see a couple of small allen key headed screws that look as if they adjust the saddle height and I think I can see some threads under each of the saddles (but can't figure out how to reach them to adjust intonation)?

Are there any good websites out there that may give a pointer or am I better leaving well alone? I usually set up my Fenders with no worries but this seems a bit more tricky!? :blink:

Many thanks in anticipation,
Pete :)

Re the volume controls, everything is as it should be. If you solo one of the pickups then the other volume control will have no effect as it's not in the circuit. The Bass and Treble volumes control the neck and bridge pickups respectively, so if you're only using the neck pickup the bridge volume control (Treble) has no signal to adjust.