Why become a member? ×

Bridge earthing?

99mustang

I fitted my new Badass II to my Squier the other day, and noticed that the earth wire is just trapped between the underside of the bridge and the body.
[attachment=95637:Badass II.jpg]
The old bridge had pressed the earth wire into the body making a poor connection.

Has anyone any idea how to make a better more permanent connection?

Cheers.

John.

That is quite usual, most manufacturers just stick the bare wire under the bridge, even my schack and Shuker were the same. I have even had to rub the black painted bridges back to brass to get a ground. what I do is make sure the wire is clean and I bend it over and solder the loop this creates a larger surface area and the solder also gives it some depth, I then re position it away from the original indentation having cleaned the underside of the bridge, bolt it back down.

[quote name='deepbass5' timestamp='1324419058' post='1474129']
That is quite usual, most manufacturers just stick the bare wire under the bridge, even my schack and Shuker were the same. I have even had to rub the black painted bridges back to brass to get a ground. what I do is make sure the wire is clean and I bend it over and solder the loop this creates a larger surface area and the solder also gives it some depth, I then re position it away from the original indentation having cleaned the underside of the bridge, bolt it back down.
[/quote]

+1
That's as good a way as any and is exactly what nearly every manufacturer does. :)

[quote name='99mustang' timestamp='1324418485' post='1474117']
I fitted my new Badass II to my Squier the other day, and noticed that the earth wire is just trapped between the underside of the bridge and the body.
[attachment=95637:Badass II.jpg]
The old bridge had pressed the earth wire into the body making a poor connection.

Has anyone any idea how to make a better more permanent connection?

Cheers.

John.
[/quote]

Under my bridge is recessed.
I taped the recess and surrounding area (still under the bridge) with copper tape, then I screwed a solder tag into the recess and soldered the earth wire to the tag.

[quote name='deepbass5' timestamp='1324419058' post='1474129']
[/quote]

Really? I find that quite a shock. I would have expected some kind of eye terminal or a soldered tag. Seems a bit hit and miss for something that is so important to how the thing works.

Edited by 99mustang