Why become a member? ×

Any good 10" 4Ohm drivers out there?

Ghost_Bass

Hello, i'm just wondering if there's any good quality (neo if possible) 10" 4Ohm drivers on the market. I have a Promethean extension cabinet that i'm selling localy but no one seems to feel any love for it so i've thought about keeping it for small venues. The thing is that i have a Shuttle head and they tend to lid the limiter/clip LED (at the power stage) quite soon when presented with a 8Ohm load, with a 4Ohm load they run without clipping. It's not just my unit, a couple of friends have Shuttles and they noticed the same thing with theirs.

So what options do i have here? I'm not worry about putting too much power on the cab because my ears still function well and if i use this cab it will be for quieter gigs so it won't be pushed very hard, just enough to hear over the drummer and that's when the LED starts to lid...

I've thought about a dummy load but i don't know how to do it - any links are appreciated, i know my way around the soldering iron - and i don't know if it would create heat issues, other alternative is to change the driver but i can't find a decent 4Ohm one with 250-300W handling.

What would you do? Idealy i would like to keep the one cab situation for the small venues and rehearsals (yes, my drummer is that quiet!) and not have to lug the 2x112's everywere. I know Eden does a 4Ohm 1x10", anybody knows what driver are they using?

I'm not really worried about the clipping, i've read Jeff's comments on this somewere and he said that it was perfectly safe for the amp to operate while limiting but i would get a bit more peace of mind if i knew i wasn't pushing the amp too hard.

Cheers
Marco

Ignore the clip/limit light on the Shuttle until it's on practically all the time. It comes on at 2dB below clipping and you then need to ask for four times as much power from the amp before it actually hits (there's 4dB of compression on the next 6dB of input, which takes you to full power). There aren't any 10" bass drivers on the market that can handle the Shuttle 9.0's 500W @ 8 ohms cleanly, let alone 900W @ 4 ohms, so all a 4 ohm driver will get you is an increased risk of blowing it!

I see your point, i don't think i'm going to blow the speaker because i'm always hearing for speaker flap/distortion and never pass my master over 12 o'clock, none of my cabs can handle the shuttle's power (i know... i need a S12T in vintage cloth... i'm saving for one :)) but they handle fine for the volume i play.
It's just a little unconfortable to be playing and see that damm thing lighting... i'm always affraid that this time it will enter in protection mid song...

It isn't a clip light, it's a soft limiter AND clip light. It doesn't matter if it's lighting up, just ignore it! I think the Shuttles are great amps but that LED is a complete design fail - if only they'd set it to come on once you reach actual hard limiting (like the limiting on Markbass amps) then you'd never see it light except on the very loudest moments at your loudest gigs.

Has it ever gone into protection and shut down?