Why become a member? ×

I'm going to get a Warmoth bass built. Any advices?

Ian McFly

Hello people !

I plan on getting a Warmoth bass built, with the help of my luthier.

Here are the specs I settled on:

-Deluxe Jazz 5 body
-Maple neck and rosewood fretboard
-Hipshot ultralites tuners and Hipshot A bridge
-Nordstrand NJF5 pickups.
-East J-retro preamp
-Ice Blue Metallic finish.

But there's one element on which I'm hesitating... The body wood. Alder or Ash? All in all, the other specs are a pretty common choice, but I don't want to go wild with this bass, I'd like to keep it simple and efficient.

As you might have guessed, I'd like a Jazz Bass "Plus", with a powerful yet defined sound. A bass that will sit perfect in the mix (I play pop-rock with my band, there are 2 guitars and a keyboard...)

If you guys have advices regarding the body wood, or even other elements (preamp, pickups, etc), I'm opened to suggestions !

Cheers !

Y.

(I also posted this on Talkbass, don't beat me haha !)

If you play pop rock with keys then active all the way, the ability to boost or cut frequencies is a god send.
Not familiar with Nordy pickups, personally I would go for a classic passive p/up like a Duncan Antiquity or a Fender Custom Shop Jazz set. But then thats me, I love an old school passive with an active pre.

I would always go for an ash body but then I am a Warwick afficianado and there basses generally are ash bodied.

[quote name='throwoff' timestamp='1323470865' post='1463837'] I would always go for an ash body but then I am a Warwick afficianado and there basses generally are ash bodied. [/quote]

No they're not. Well, not unless you're looking at the cheaper models. The top end Warwicks tend to have bodies of maple, bubinga or Afzelia. But not ash, generally speaking.

The specs sound good to me! Love those east preamps!

I would go for alder, the only time I really go for ash bodies is if Im going for a natural finish as it looks a lot better than natural alder in my opinion.

i had an alder p bass that I replaced with an ash body and I didnt notice much difference in the tone. I think most of the tone will be characterised from the nordys and the east preamp.

cant wait to see this when its all done!