Why become a member? ×

I know there's a myriad of neck materials, but why does no one use...

Lfalex v1.1

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='22876' date='Jun 25 2007, 10:07 AM']Hi Pete, I'd imagine weight might be an issue? Teak has a reputation for being a heavy wood.[/quote]

True enough but it might be useful for a slimline jazz type body although I would probably want to face it with something more attractive. I wonder what it would be like tone wise.

[quote name='Peaty' post='22874' date='Jun 25 2007, 09:58 AM']I have scored a bunch of recycled teak planks and was thinking of making a bed with them but now i am begining to wonder if a jazz style body might be an interesting test. Does anyone know any good reason why teak should not be worth a shot.[/quote]

I recall from somewhere that you can get some problems with teak as it is a very "oily" wood. To be safe you should maybe do a little research first to make sure whatever finish you choose will work ok.

A quick Google found this [url="http://antiquerestorers.com/Articles/SAL/oilwood.htm"]Finishing Oily Woods[/url] but I'm sure there will be more relevant information out there.

[quote name='BOD2' post='22987' date='Jun 25 2007, 02:03 PM']I recall from somewhere that you can get some problems with teak as it is a very "oily" wood. To be safe you should maybe do a little research first to make sure whatever finish you choose will work ok.

A quick Google found this [url="http://antiquerestorers.com/Articles/SAL/oilwood.htm"]Finishing Oily Woods[/url] but I'm sure there will be more relevant information out there.[/quote]

Thanks Bod the shellac/resin varinsh finish works well on this teak. My boss has used a chunk to make a chart table for his boat (these old teak planks were a good match to the interior of his boat) using that very finish with the Bhelen bros varnish and it looks great. (the classic boat comunity can be a picky lot when it comes to finishes....'cant get propper paint since the gasworks closed' you can imagine the sort of thing. Anyway as varnish goes this stuff is pretty tough, pretty pricy but pretty

As for me, well I would probably go down the shellac/wax route.

Does the oilyness have any detrimental affect on tone