Why become a member? ×

My first tube amp (TTE 500) - advice needed

Walker

Hello there,

I'm taking delivery of a new head today and it's my first amp with tubes. I have a couple of quick tewb newb questions that I hope someone can help with.

It's a MarkBass TTE500, so it has a tube pre only (3x ECC83 + 1x ECC81 for the compressor). I've read conflicting stuff and I'm not sure if same rules apply to pre tubes or just power tubes.

Apologies in advance if these question are a bunch of arse. But this cost me a bomb and I don't want to damage it through ignorance!

1. How long should it warm up before playing?
2. How long should I expect preamp tubes to last?
3. So, should I carry spares?
4. What about switching on the amp if the practice room is very cold?
5. Anything else I should know? The manual is very light on detail.

Thanks very much,

Chris

Preamp valves can last a very long time. I'm playing a 1969 amp with original Brimar ECC83s which are in good health, but the power amp valves were long gone. Regarding warming it up, it will take 20-30 seconds or so for the valves to reach their operating temperature, but you'll hear that, as they don't pass any signal when cold. Other than not chucking it around while it's still hot, there really isn't much to worry about.