Why become a member? ×

roto sound swing bass stainless

rumblejunkie

as the above my local shop dont have many bass sets in stock but they have these rotosound swing bass stainless steel 45-105 ive bought a fair bit from him in the past so im getting them for £16.00 are they any good ? i thought them being stainless they should last a fair while . i play mainly rock music and use fingers occasionaly a pick, and like a fairly bright sound. any advice appreciated cheers.

Edited by rumblejunkie

You'll find there's fairly mixed opinions on Swing Bass strings. Leaving aside personal tastes in strings, plenty of people have felt the quality control isn't what it was, that they die too quickly for their liking, that they feel rough to the touch. And plenty of others haven't found any such problems and continue to use them.

And it has to be said, similar claims have also been levelled at other big name manufacturers.

The only way you're going to find out if they suit you is to try for yourself. £16 is a fair price for them so why not. Next time round you could try other strings for comparison.

Oh, and plenty of strings out there are stainless steel and they're often said to be brighter than nickel, though in the real world just being made from SS is no guarantee of a bright tone. Nor will they necessarily last longer than nickel - there are plenty of other factors that will determine the tone and life of the strings.

I've used them a fair bit.

They have a great 'rock' tone, and they add a touch of growl and chorus to your sound. The likes of Geddy Lee, Duff McKagan, Billy Sheehan use them.

The downside is that they are very coarse and trap dirt in the windings very easily. They also eat fingers and frets!

I really like the Roto Solo 55s in 45-105. They're pressure wound SS and therefore less coarse but with more mass. But the cheapest I've seen them is about 25 quid.

I've got nickels on my basses at the moment and really miss the liveliness of SS.

thanks for the reply ill give them a go and as you said maybe try something else next time for comparison . tbh we had two shops in falkirk but one closed recently and i felt really bad i hadnt used it more as i knew a couple of the guys who worked there. so ive been trying to get as much localy as i can, every little helps and all that .

[quote name='sixdegrees' timestamp='1322786195' post='1456012']
I've used them a fair bit.

They have a great 'rock' tone, and they add a touch of growl and chorus to your sound. The likes of Geddy Lee, Duff McKagan, Billy Sheehan use them.

The downside is that they are very coarse and trap dirt in the windings very easily. They also eat fingers and frets!

I really like the Roto Solo 55s in 45-105. They're pressure wound SS and therefore less coarse but with more mass. But the cheapest I've seen them is about 25 quid.

I've got nickels on my basses at the moment and really miss the liveliness of SS.
[/quote]

cheers its mainly rock and metal i play so sounds ok as for eating frets im not so keen on that idea but at the price plus local trade im gonna pick a set up tomorrow ill post up once ive changed them and give an opinion . once again cheers

How about mail order? Strings direct and strings and things offer next day delivery and are very well priced.

One thing I forgot to mention was the 'A' string. The 'A' string is an 80, while the 'E' is 105. I found that the 'A' lacked a little punch. Almost as if it were a lighter gauge replacement compared with the other 3 strings.

i used to use these all the time on all my basses, they are nice strings when they are new....but that only ever seemed to last for about a week, or 2 gigs. i've just bought myself some of the rotosound nexus coated strings to try, and they sound great for rock, very bright and zingy.

I've also got some sets of DR strings, as the sunbeams my aerodyne came with still sounded incredible after 7 months.

Edited by jackers