Why become a member? ×

which gauge GHS precision flats for rick 4003

skinzz

hi ive just bought a set of ti jazz flats on my rick 4003, after playing them for a while im not sure about the low tension, i seem to get a lot of unwanted noise from strings, i mean the other strings vibrate/wobble with these as im no good at muting yet as im a newbie to bass im now thinking of putting these on a cheap bass that i have and buying a set of ghs precision flats for my rick i dont know what gauge tho , they come in

GAUGE GUIDE MODEL# 1st-G 2nd-D 3rd-A 4th-E 3025 FB45 FB60 FB75 FB95 M3050 FB45 FB65 FB85 FB105 3050 FB55 FB70 FB90 FB105

M3050 seems to be the most popular for sale

any advice would be appreciated either about my ti jazz flats or a string change or good flats in general, i had a set of pyramid golds on the rick which were ok but not a great range of sound compared to the ti's

regards chris

Edited by skinzz

[quote name='skinzz' timestamp='1322322168' post='1449386']
hi ive just bought a set of ti jazz flats on my rick 4003, after playing them for a while im not sure about the low tension, i seem to get a lot of unwanted noise from strings with these as im no good at muting yet as im a newbie to bass im now thinking of putting these on a cheap bass that i have and buying a set of ghs precision flats for my rick i dont know what gauge tho , they come in

GAUGE GUIDE MODEL# 1st-G 2nd-D 3rd-A 4th-E 3025 FB45 FB60 FB75 FB95 M3050 FB45 FB65 FB85 FB105 3050 FB55 FB70 FB90 FB105

M3050 seems to be the most popular for sale

any advice would be appreciated either about my ti jazz flats or a string change or good flats in general, i had a set of pyramid golds on the rick which were ok but not a great range of sound compared to the ti's

regards chris
[/quote]
For the GHS flats I'd go for the 3050M medium set.

With the TIs have you set up the action and intonation? Because of the lower tension you might need a little tweak on the trussrod to give a little more relief for the lower tension strings.

im taking my ric to martin sims next sat to have it properly setup the intonation needs sorting and the neck probably does need tweaking , im not confident to start messing about with any of it,he'll sort all that out he's superb with ricks ive been told by a few peopl, being a newbie its very hard for me to know what string setup is good for me, do i keep the ti's they are much softer and easier to play finger style than the pyramids, really dont know what to do now, do i keep the ti's on and get it properly setup ? or try GHS- strings before i take it down there on sat, need some good advice flats are an expensive business lol

regards Chris

Edited by skinzz

It's a tough one.

The low tension TIs will be quite sensitive to how you play them, less so the Pyramids and the GHS. If you play with a heavier touch and dig in more then I'd go for the Pyramids or the GHS and only for the TIs if you have a fairly light touch.

Whatever you choose to do you will need, IMHO, to stick to that choice for a while, a few months, and get used to the feel of the strings you choose. It might still be that some other string than the ones you choose would be better, in some sense, but it would be good practice to get the most out of whatever you choose to fit.

[quote name='skinzz' timestamp='1322339178' post='1449706']
have you tried the ghs precisions and the pyramids ?
[/quote]
I've used both on my Lakland Decade and like them both, the GHS are slightly less dull sounding out of the packet and both are medium tension. I've only ever played a Rickenbacker with rounds so I can't help specifically on the Ricky.

If you're going to see Martin Sims I'd very possibly take his advice but - other than that and given what you've said - I'd probably go for the GHS, get the bass set up properly and then play it lots for a couple of months to get used to what you can do with those strings. Then you can think again if you want to.