Why become a member? ×

New amp on its way - GK MB500

Lozz196

Well I`m sure many of you know me as an Ampeg fanatic, but recently in my punk covers band, my PF500 has sounded too "thick/middy" and in the sonic space of the guitar - Les Paul & Marshall. Whereas what I`ve been after is a "scooped/grind" sortof tone, like Duff McKagan and Mike Dirnt.

I`ve tried a few things on the eq of the PF, but nothing has really worked, the mids are fantastically thick, but just don`t seem to be able to be thinned out without losing all the oomph on the amp. Not that I`m complaining, that`s what Ampeg are all about, those mids, and the PF is sooooo right for my other band.

I recently used a Peavey Firebass 450 with matching cab, and it was great - was doing exactly what I`m after, with flat eq, and some gain. Now I`m not about to delve into the world of extreme weight-lifting that is Peavey ownership, so I`ve decided to bite the bullet on a Gallien Krueger MB500 instead. I figured that since Duff McKagan uses GK and gets the sound I want, it`s probably going to go somewhere near what I want too.

I`ll update - and provide pics to prove it`s here - once it`s been used (in anger, well it is for a punk band).