Why become a member? ×

Fenders - serial numbers

mhuk

Nope. Some have it on the neck plate. Some even have it stamped on the bridge. Even on the headstock it can be on the front or the back depending on year, factory etc.

That logo is a copy I think or on a reissue.

[quote name='dlloyd' post='16616' date='Jun 13 2007, 12:14 AM']I didn't see the photo first time round... Yep, that looks like an after market decal that's been applied uncut. It should look something like this (as far as I'm aware)...[/quote]

Yup, the logo on the first pic is not quite right. It's a sort of cross between a 1960 and a 1961 logo.

The second pic looks like a [genuine] pre 66 logo, although those tuners ain't right as far as I'm aware.

Edited by Muppet

[quote name='Muppet' post='16618' date='Jun 13 2007, 12:18 AM']Yup, the logo on the first pic is not quite right. It's a sort of cross between a 1960 and a 1961 logo.

The second pic looks like a [genuine] pre 66 logo, although those tuners ain't right as far as I'm aware.[/quote]

Spot on Muppet.

The first one is a messed up attempt at a 1960 logo (missing the 'PAT PEND.' ) on a modern headstock.

The 2nd pic does indeed look like a genuine 64 logo - but the tuners are wrong for that year - they should be pinned reverse Klusons - quite apart from their obviously brand new shiny look... :)

(Oh no - Just realised what a 'vintage geek' I've turned into!!! :huh: )

Edited by 99ster

[quote name='mhuk' post='16682' date='Jun 13 2007, 09:24 AM']Cheers for the replies.

The seller says it's 10 years old; fake then?[/quote]

It would be a (poor) fake if he said it was a 40 year old vintage Jazz...
But he's not if he's saying it dates from 1997. And it could very well be 10 years old - & then the value depends more on what type of bass he says it is - not how old it is...

I'm no "vintage geek" lol, but shouldn't the "Custom Contour Body" transfer be placed further to the right, rather than tight up against the rest of the writing ?

Is this a fake ?

Difficult to say exactly what it is from just the one picture but that picture does seem to throw up several questions which suggest that something's not right. If it's an aftermarket decal that's been put on then you have to ask if it's a Fender at all ?

[quote name='BOD2' post='16686' date='Jun 13 2007, 09:35 AM']I'm no "vintage geek" lol, but shouldn't the "Custom Contour Body" transfer be placed further to the right, rather than tight up against the rest of the writing ?

Is this a fake ?

Difficult to say exactly what it is from just the one picture but that picture does seem to throw up several questions which suggest that something's not right. If it's an aftermarket decal that's been put on then you have to ask if it's a Fender at all ?[/quote]

Yes - the "Custom Contour Body" transfer should be placed further to the right (& it looks a bit wonky!) - & it's missing the 'PAT PENDING' transfer altogether...
The decal is altogether a bit of a 'bodge' job.

So good question BOD2 - is it a Fender at all?
Myself I wouldn't buy it because of the stickers on the body...

[quote name='dlloyd' post='16701' date='Jun 13 2007, 09:58 AM']Yep, there's this one...

[url="http://www.amazon.com/Fender-Bass-Illustrated-History/dp/0634026402"]http://www.amazon.com/Fender-Bass-Illustra...y/dp/0634026402[/url]

I have a copy and, while I'm no vintage Fender geek, it's a great and insightful read.

I'd pass on this bass personally.[/quote]

+1 on that - a great book...

[quote name='dlloyd' post='16705' date='Jun 13 2007, 10:00 AM']The one that I posted is supposed to be a '66 if that makes any difference...[/quote]

I'd say that was a 64 neck (size of 'trade mark' lettering & detached 'offset contour' logo) with modern machine heads (66 would maybe have Klusons - more likely paddle tuners)....

Isn't there supposed to be a skunk stripe on the back of the neck on these things? Also there seems to be a difference to the fading on the back of the neck close to the neck pocket, like the neck was originally on another body.

Add to that there's absolutely no sign of the Ricky he claims he's sold in his feedback, and I'd stick well clear.

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320126121450&indexURL=3&photoDisplayType=2#ebayphotohosting"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...bayphotohosting[/url]

[quote name='Musky' post='16729' date='Jun 13 2007, 10:54 AM']Isn't there supposed to be a skunk stripe on the back of the neck on these things? Also there seems to be a difference to the fading on the back of the neck close to the neck pocket, like the neck was originally on another body.

Add to that there's absolutely no sign of the Ricky he claims he's sold in his feedback, and I'd stick well clear.

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320126121450&indexURL=3&photoDisplayType=2#ebayphotohosting"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...bayphotohosting[/url][/quote]

Skunk stripe? Not a on a rosewood finger board Fender. You're maybe thinking of a solid maple neck/board - when the truss-rod is added from behind...

[quote name='99ster' post='16880' date='Jun 13 2007, 02:07 PM']Skunk stripe? Not a on a rosewood finger board Fender.[/quote]

Yes on a [i]Mexican[/i] rosewood fingerboard Fender. I had one on a Mexican Jazz.

[quote name='Muppet' post='16889' date='Jun 13 2007, 02:15 PM']Yes on a [i]Mexican[/i] rosewood fingerboard Fender. I had one on a Mexican Jazz.[/quote]

Well I never...
Thanks for the extra info Muppet!
I stand corrected!