Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Right Hand Muting

uncle psychosis

Hi guys

I'm trying to work on my right hand muting as I slowly get my way into playing fingerstyle (been playing for a while, but always with a pick).

Floating thumb seems the closest technique to what my hand wants to do "naturally" so I'm trying to give it a whirl.

Does anyone have any good exercises/videos/suggestions for floating thumb/ right hand muting?

Cheers

Check out Scott Devine or Adam Nitti's tutorials on YT (not very good at embedding these on here) regarding this very subject. I find the "moveable anchor" the most useful - thumb on pickup when playing the thickest string and then dropping the thumb down onto the string above (as you're looking down) the one you're playing and so forth and doing the same thing in reverse coming back up (hope this makes sense?).

Edited by louisthebass

[quote name='louisthebass' timestamp='1321955383' post='1444696']
Check out Scott Devine or Adam Nitti's tutorials on YT (not very got at embedding these on here) regarding this very subject. I find the "moveable anchor" the most useful - thumb on pickup when playing the thickest string and then dropping the thumb down onto the string above (as you're looking down) the one you're playing and so forth and doing the same thing in reverse coming back up (hope this makes sense?).
[/quote]

Thanks for the tip. I kind of do that already. The problem is muting the E and (especially) the low B string on my 5er whilst playing the D and G strings. I'm good at muting the string immediately below the one I'm playing but not all of them at once!

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1321991138' post='1445283']
Thanks for the tip. I kind of do that already. The problem is muting the E and (especially) the low B string on my 5er whilst playing the D and G strings. I'm good at muting the string immediately below the one I'm playing but not all of them at once!
[/quote]

No worries - when I'm playing the D & G strings, I place the tip of my thumb on the A string & use the flesh on the side of my thumb to mute the B & E strings. It sort of borrows from floating thumb...

Hope it helps?

[quote name='louisthebass' timestamp='1321991481' post='1445292']
No worries - when I'm playing the D & G strings, I place the tip of my thumb on the A string & use the flesh on the side of my thumb to mute the B & E strings. It sort of borrows from floating thumb...

Hope it helps?
[/quote]

Thanks, thats basically what I'm trying to do.

What do you do with your ring finger and pinky? Mine keep getting in the way!

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1321997377' post='1445382']
Thanks, thats basically what I'm trying to do.

What do you do with your ring finger and pinky? Mine keep getting in the way!
[/quote]

I keep mine sort of " curled up" into my hand, but not tight as the last thing you need in your plucking hand is a lot of tension. The only digits in use are my thumb (anchoring & muting) & 1st & 2nd fingers.

Let us know how you get on.

• 2 weeks later...