Why become a member? ×

Souping up DIY styley - The Aftermath!!!!

JakeFoordBass

Hi Guys,

I have got sick and tired of the lack of body and tone in EUB's and want to bring the Ply acoustic up to some sort of recording/live standard.

I know very little about the bass other than it's not great. A mate's Dad who repairs them said it wasn't bad and was in ok condition.

So, where would I start in trying to get it to sound better? I'm on a bit of a budget as I don't want to spend loads only to find it was still an old dog!

Here's what I was thinking:

Strings - the strings on it seem really mismatched and horrible so that's a start! I was thinking Thomastik Superflexible as an all round good'un?

Fingerboard - It's a lacquered jobby and the lacquer has peeled in places, going to strip it! What's the best way to strip it and will I need to treat the wood beneath in some way?

Thinking that's a good starting place, any other bits I can try?

All advice would be awesome!!

Thanks,

Jake

Edited by JakeFoordBass

They don't really bow very well. Apparently Innovation Honeys would be a better choice if you want to bow your bass, Evah Pirazzis are good but pricey, Helicore hybrids also seem like a good solution.

As for improving the sound of your bass beyond trying different strings there might not be much you can do to make a big difference. Get it professionally set up if you haven't already because that should improve the sound, but if your bass doesn't come alive with new strings and a setup I would be thinking about shopping for a new bass.

• 4 weeks later...

So...

I stripped the fingerboard of it's horrible, bubbly lacquer to find a nice piece of wood.

I bought some Innovation Honeys and strung it up.

I went into the studio today and recorded with 1xPeluso U47 and Stereo C414EB'S through Cadac desk and it sounds like a completely different bass!!!

Thanks for all of your advice, may take you up on help with a setup actually Bob if that's ok? Action's maybe just a little high but not too bad!

I've left the fingerboard completely untreated for the moment, what do you reckon's best? An oil of some sort perhaps?

Cheers!

Jake