Why become a member? ×

Dingwall Basses

bassist_lewis

I've read a lot about these basses, all complimentary about their construction, sound, playability etc, but what are they actually like to play? I know its difficult to get across but I ask because the nearest stockist to me is bassdirect in warwick and I live in Edinburgh (!). in particular whats the scale length like? I find 35" uncomfortable so not sure if I caould cope with 37" on the low B.

thanks in advance

I've only ever played one in the shop, but I found it so natural to play it was unreal. No time to adapt, i just picked it up and could play it as well as any of my other basses. I'm used to some longer scales so didn't bother me. I don't feel like the extra stretching was a problem though?

I recently picked up an ABZ from someone selling on here and it's probably the nicest bass I've ever owned/played. I'm used to 34" scale, but did not have any problem getting used to the scale on the low B. It really doesn't feel like 37" (if that is what it is).

There seems to be a focus on the playability for Dingwalls, but I think the greatest aspect of their design (and the whole purpose of the fanned-fret system) is the phenomenal tone and even balance of that tone across all strings.

If you can get to try one out, you'll see what I mean.

Definitely try one if you can, I did and bought it on the spot! No issues with the fanned frets, they are very natural and the tone is brilliant. The frets are also banjo size which are more like the vintage frets on Fender American Vintage basses which I prefer anyway.