Why become a member? ×

A fools question.

vegas_hooker

Im currently sporting an Ashdown MAG 4x10 cab alongside alongside an old Fender 135 and was hoping somebody could clear something up for me.

I play guitar through this rig and noticed that my guitar sound is very thick and boomy (unless I really tweak the EQ). Like pushing air, as if I were playing bass. Is the cab the likely culprit for this?

I should point out I'm not well travelled with cabs but I'm just curious really if it would be down to things like depth and speaker size.

Ta

Half the sound of electric guitar comes from the speakers. The speakers they use are awful in terms of faithful sound reproduction - but that's exactly why they work and sound great.

Have you ever heard an electric guitar DI'd? It sounds terrible. The Jensen and Celestion speakers they use are full of character: not what you want in hi-fi or PA settings (or for bass guitar) but great for electric guitar. The classic speaker for the Fender amp sound is the Jensen P12N or P10R; for Marshall, it's either the Celestion G12H or G12M. For the Vox sound, it's the Celestion Blue.

Having said that a bunch of guitarists now use amps and/or cabs designed for bass guitar if they want a really low down, thick, heavy sound - like the one you say you're getting.

If you're unhappy with the sound it could be either because of the speakers or the amp reproducing the sound too faithfully. (You're unlikely to get overdrive or distortion from a bass amp except at stupendous volume levels.)

So in a round-about way, my answer to your question is that it sounds like that 'cos you're using a bass rig. If you don't like that sound you could try using a guitar cab or a guitar head or both.

Thanks for the replies.

I guess I never really factored in how much of an influence cabs can have on sound. Its not that I mind the sounds, and its easily EQ'd out for something more agreeable (though the fender amp doesn't break up at all like you mention). But I was just curious all the same.

Thanks again.

[quote name='The Funk' post='162474' date='Mar 24 2008, 01:08 AM']Half the sound of electric guitar comes from the speakers. The speakers they use are awful in terms of faithful sound reproduction - but that's exactly why they work and sound great.

Have you ever heard an electric guitar DI'd? It sounds terrible.[/quote]

I haven't heard a guitar DI'd.

After our last rehearsal, in a desperate attempt to get some decent mix/balance between instruments, I actually suggested running everything through the board. The guitarists were NOT amused.