Why become a member? ×

Which Fender?

paulbass

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' timestamp='1319884361' post='1419631']
and a 5 string version Precision reviewed by Ed Friedland

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THITANX322E[/media]
[/quote]

Doesn't work as a slap sound, IMV.... which is probably why you don't see too many without a J pickup in there

[quote name='BurritoBass' timestamp='1320396165' post='1426191']The Japanese Fenders are nearly always exceptional if you get a chance to come across one. Personally if I was playing funk I'd lean towards a Jazz purely because they cut through a little more but there are plenty of examples of people doing that on P-basses. I'm a life long Fender player and currently play a Jazz although I'm probably more associated with Precisions. I'd also echo the comments about trying stuff out live rather than buying online. With your budget I'd also be looking at a day trip somewhere so you can try a few.

Just a thought but is it possible that you've just become an old man!?! :)[/quote]

Haha this comment did make me laugh....i am 42 and guess i have become an old man! Great comment! thanks for your advice =D

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1319901769' post='1419942']
..and I've never been comfortable trying out basses in shops, always found it intimidating.[/quote]

Me too. I always play them unplugged in the shop. Besides, the sound that you'd hear would be influenced by the shop's amp, so it isn't a valid reference unless they have the same amp that you have.

The way the bass feels is what's important to me. As you can see from my sig I have a few to call on. The USA Jazz Deluxe feels much nicer than any of the others. When played live I'm not sure most of the audience could tell the difference in tone anyway.