Why become a member? ×

Question about Horace Panter

leftybassman392

I have a question that's been bugging me for a while. During the late '70's and '80's I lived in Coventry, and got to know Horace a little in the early days of the Specials - couldn't honestly say we were proper mates, but he was a good friend of my neighbour and we hung out together from time to time. (All this was before the band really took off - I didn't see much of him after that!)

I went to a number of their local gigs of course, and he was well known for playing Fenders. However I have a distinct recollection of him playing an Epiphone Rivoli at one point but have been unable to trace it. I have a feeling that it might have been for a tv show - TOTP perhaps? I know it's not key to the history of the band or anything, but I just can't shake it. I remember it mostly because it's such a big instrument and he's kind of a small man, and he had this slightly unusual posture where he used to hold the instrument quite high on his chest (which he now seems to have lost of course!).

Anybody out there remember this, or have I finally lost it altogether?

Edited by leftybassman392

[quote name='ash' timestamp='1319885390' post='1419652']
Check out[i] Sk'ad For Life [/i]his biography - scanned through I'm sure he mentioned a hollowbody bass but I think it was a Hofner.
[/quote]

Ah. It could have been come to think of it. I've been trying to find images of him playing it but have drawn a complete blank so far. My memory for such details always been a bit iffy, but normally I just let it ride. This one's got under my skin a bit because I knew him and I feel stupid that I can't bring the details properly to mind. Perhaps I should read the book! :)

Thanks for looking.

Could it be this strange looking beast.....

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpYyqaSYLyw&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpYyqaSYLyw&feature=related[/url]

I used to be in a band (late 80's) with a lad who said that it was his uncle who played the flute on this track. He did not look Borat though!

[quote name='Von Death' timestamp='1319988954' post='1420885']
Could it be this strange looking beast.....

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpYyqaSYLyw&feature=related[/media]

I used to be in a band (late 80's) with a lad who said that it was his uncle who played the flute on this track. He did not look Borat though!
[/quote]

It's not the one I remember, but it'll do for a start. I'm still not discounting the idea that I dreamt it all, of course. :) Thanks for finding that one.

As it happens it's the first time I've seen Roddy playing that guitar as well. In the early days he played a black Les Paul (I had remembered it as a Black Beauty but I found some footage recently that has caused me to have some doubts).

Edited by leftybassman392