Why become a member? ×

Foderas

Pete Academy

I also really really want to build my own 4 strings Fodera with dual coils, lots of beautiful specs are going through my mind, and I want to get them out, but I want $$$$ :o

I now own a used Fodera Monarch PJ (same Victor Wooten specs) :) Still can't wait to have it in my hands (I'm still abroad, and I shipped it to my house in Belgium)
But I have already tried the new YYS, and it's just an incredible bass, fast thin neck, low action, amaizing punch, lightweight, great balance, very modern and versatile, even a good smell! :)
But I gotta say, the price isn't worth it to everyone. For me, hell ya, it is..
I've owned/tried too many great high end basses (Mayones, Modulus, Luthman..), , the Fodera was my best shot, not really the best one, differently better, but just the best for me :)

I came very close to buying a used 6 string one a couple of years ago. I actually put a deposit down on it. I spent a couple of hours playing it in the shop, then went back the following week and played it again, that's when I changed my mind over it.

It was a superbly constructed bass, [b][i]but[/i][/b] it wasn't really any better than any other bass that I could have bought for even a quarter of the money that was wanted for it.

My main bass now is a 23 year old Jaydee Calibas 6 string. It has been expertly set up and serviced by John Diggins, he also re-sprayed it for me. I would say without hesitation that it is equally as good as any Fodera. There's also the added benefit of the builder having his workshop only 10 miles away from where I live.

I don't necessarily know if the really great bass players think that Fodera build a bass that's £6-7000 better than many other basses out there, and those that do are probably buying their instruments as status symbols as opposed to buying because they're genuinely in love with their instrument. I personally have only ever seen and never played one, so I couldn't comment too much but the brand name carries with it qualities that are clearly desirable to many of us, i.e. high quality craftsmanship, good playability, good sound, aesthetically pleasing looks (to some!).

Whether you would want to pay nearly £10,000 is very much a personal choice, I wouldn't judge those who do though as I hear they play fantastically and are truly a custom build, even though they aren't really my thing at all.

It's funny but a guy I know said something funny (and slightly disrespectful too) the other day. I'm not going to mention names, but I'm sure many guys on here have met him or know him.

He mentioned the other week that he'd always wanted a red Mark King Jaydee bass. So I took mine into show him. He played it and said what a nice example it was. He then went onto say that he wouldn't consider buying one because he's moved on from them, and so has his playing.

A good friend of mine has toured with Steve Hackett (amongst many others), his main bass is a relatively cheap Aria 5 string. He's an amazing player. It's the player and [b]not[/b] the bass that matters.

As long as the bass is well set up, and feels comfortable to play then that's all that matters. Sound/tone is mostly down to the player too, in my opinion.

Edited by Soliloquy

Yes, I've played a few over the years, although they're no better than some of the other basses I've owned and played.

As far as craft and construction goes, they are as stunning and as flawless as you would expect from a top drawer bass. But you could stand my ACG Harlot next to them and they'd be neck and neck as far as build quality goes. I suppose that speaks volumes for my ACG though! Similarly, my Zon is as well built as either. They're better made than some basses though. I've played a couple of Wals that felt a little more 'handmade' than 'handcrafted' if you catch my drift. (I've played plenty of fabulously made Wals too mind). I've never seen or played a Fodera that looked anything less than perfect. Though I've heard of some Talkbass users finding the rarest of things; namely shoddy Fodera basses!

Personally, I don't think there is one Fodera sound. Not like 'the' Wal sound, not like 'the' Alembic sound. The best sounding Fodera I've played was a Monarch with, IIRC, a Hazlab preamp like Victor Wooten's #1 bass has. It was very dynamic and rich sounding. Some of the mahogany bodied basses have sounded very polite with SD pickups and the Pope preamp. It's a gospel studio dream tone though! Some of the harder woods give them a better sound, the ash bodied ones have a bit of back pickup growl which is nice.

It's all down to what you like though. If you have the money for one, and like them, then enjoy it. I don't think there is much in it between a £4000 Alembic or Fodera and another boutique bass costing half that. When you're playing basses like that, your taste is as much the deciding factor as the price and you'll buy what you like.