Why become a member? ×

Aguilar Tone Hammer vs. Sansamp BDDI

jackers

Hey all,

I know this has probably been covered somewhere, but I did a search and couldn't find anything. (Feel free to link though.)

I currently have a sansamp BDDI to add a little bit of edge and power to my tone. Recently I have been hearing alot of people saying how good the Aguilar Tone Hammer is, and I was wondering if anyone could give their opinion and/or a comparison on the differences between the two pedals.

I have neither at the moment, but have owned both.

The BDDI is all about big, thick, bass and glassy highs. The distortion is thick and smooth, and then, as you push it, a bit buzzy. It has a big mid scoop about 800Hz, which I and many others like, and many hate.

The Tone hammer has a sweepable mid EQ and gives you all sorts of control over your clean and drive sound for that reason. It can be much more transparent, almost entirely so, depending of course on how you set it.

It's quite big compared to the BDDI, which was why I flipped mine - too big to throw in a gig bag. A tone hammer in a BDDI size case would be heaven for me... mind you, sometimes it's nice to get a bit of heft for your money.

• 7 months later...

I'm not sure how these compare against each other, but this weekend I went and saw a friend of mine play bass, and he used both together; his USA Jazz bass into the Sansamp BDDI into the Tone Hammer, using my Traynor YBA 300.... I've gotta say, it was the best bass tone I've ever heard! Will be ordering a Tone Hammer of my own as a result ;)