Why become a member? ×

**SOLD**Trace Elliot VA350 Valve Amplifier + footswitch**SOLD**

Bobby K

Ok, I've been thinking long and hard about this, but I've finally decided to let this beast of an amp go. :)

Anyone who knows the classic British Trace stuff will know what this is. I know a few of the seasoned basschatters have got or had one of these (Oxblood, Musky, OBBM.... to name a few)

In pretty decent nick for its age, which is probably about 22 years or so (Trace aficionados, feel free to correct me) All in good working order. The tolex has the odd tiny rip here and there and signs of scuffing, but nothing major.

One minor point is that the EQ and preshape buttons were not functioning properly (always happens with this model preamp I believe) so I've removed these. These features can be activated with the footswitch, which I'm including with the sale.

Features the classic Mk V GP11 preamp, as well as a flat response valve preamp. This second preamp is extremely simple to operate; just plug in, and adjust the volume (the only knob this preamp has). Great for Cream covers and the like.

I've had it about a year. Had to get it repaired early on; the power dropper resistor had become detached from the board, due to the age of the amp and heat build up during use. The resistor was resoldered to the board and the amp tech gave the amp a service. The inside of the amp was cleaned up like new and all the valves were removed and re-seated. The tech thought it was in pretty good shape for such an old amp. I've not had any problems with it at all since.

The amp puts out to either 2 or 4 ohms (there is a selector switch on the rear) Please bear this in mind when buying. The best way to rig it up is with two 8 ohm cabs, to get your 4 ohm load. Or, a single 4 ohm cab will suffice of course. I wanted to use this with a single matching Trace cab. As there are not that many Trace 4 ohm cabs available, I wired a Trace 4 x 10 to 2 ohms (four 8 ohm drivers in parallel) I've been using the amp primarily with this 2 ohm cab.

Needless to say, this is a LOUD amp; you could quite comfortably do a gig at Wembley with it! :o
Though the power rating is 350 watts, i did hear that Oxblood measured the output on his at something like 470 :) !! Typically underrated, as usual with the vintage Trace stuff...

My reason for selling is principally to gather funds for another purchase, but I have also come to realise over the last year that I am much more at home with solid state than valve. I'm also scaling down a little in the amps I'm using; my AER is seeing a lot more use these days and is much more suitable for small gigs than this behemoth :o

As it does weigh an absolute tonne, I'm not really prepared to post this. I'm based in Liverpool, where the amp can be picked up. Meeting halfway etc is also an option that can be explored. You're also welcome to come and try it of course.

Looking for £400 ono for this.

* Will put some daylight pictures up tomorrow, but for now I thought a snap of her in all her UV glory would suffice :)

Edited by Bobby K

not quite sure, but I think it might be the same. There's six big old output tubes anyway....

I think it's the same valve configuration as the VA400, which was a Series 6 (GP12) model.

Edited by Bobby K