Why become a member? ×

Hissing practice amp

Mog

Hi guys. A group of guitarist friends and I are starting to run an acoustic/jam session in our local every third Thursday with a view to getting some of the younger musicians out of the bedroom and into a live performance situation.

I picked up a SH Hiwatt Hurricane that can be left in the local and used by whoever needs it. Tone wise its grand, I'm not expecting anything much from a 10watt, but there is a constant hissing coming from the amp with the occasional sizzle.
This happens even when the volume is at 0.
Any ideas for a quick fix or what may be causing it?

[quote name='MB1' timestamp='1318011108' post='1397326']
MB1. :)
Snake handler Perhaps?
bigger combo definately! :)
[/quote]

:) Priceless.
10 watts is loads, no mikes used so its not even going up past 1\3.
My 30watt laney was overkill last night.

I'd leave it alone for now and see how you get on with it. However, if it's still unbearable, then I can offer a couple of ideas.

First of all, try a different speaker and see if there is still a hiss. Is there a speaker socket on the back - maybe of the type where the internal speaker plugs into it via a jack, but can be disconnected if you want to try a different cab? If so - dead easy - else you will need to go internal to connect it up.

Choosing an 8.5" driver suitable for an enclosure this size is never going to be easy but it might be the solution.

Bigger Smoothing Caps (the two big ones near the Transformer) can help quieten a noisy amp. A pair of 2200mf caps, replaced with a pair of 4400mf for instance, makes no difference to the operation of the amp, apart from taking some of the hiss/hum out. Bit of an operation though, and it still might not help.