Why become a member? ×

Suggestions on products for cleaning grime off a 35 year old bass guitar?

coffee_king

Hey all
Ive got a 35 year old fender precision that Ive been trying to clean the grime off all day and I'm getting no where fast with soapy water, a cloth and a light scourer pad sponge, or furniture polish.
There is YEARS of dried on sweat all over it which is really unpleasant (mine and no doubt previous owners that I havnt wiped off properly ever)

Any suggestions on what I can use on the body that isnt going to effect the finish of the guitar?

Ta!

[quote name='shippo' timestamp='1317737419' post='1393910']
Hey all
Ive got a 35 year old fender precision that Ive been trying to clean the grime off all day and I'm getting no where fast with soapy water, a cloth and a light scourer pad sponge, or furniture polish.
There is YEARS of dried on sweat all over it which is really unpleasant (mine and no doubt previous owners that I havnt wiped off properly ever)

Any suggestions on what I can use on the body that isnt going to effect the finish of the guitar?

Ta!
[/quote]

Something like isopropanol (electrical contact cleaner) is a great solvent but you want to be sure it's an inert poly finish and not nitrocellulose which is more reactive with organic solvents. A '75 P could have either. Similarly white spirit isn't bad (or acetone, but this will dissolve nitro pretty fast). If there is wear down to the bare wood then you might need to sand and refinish, this would typically be more of an issue on maple necks rather than bodies though. T cut is an abrasive and again will eat through a thin nitro layer pretty quickly,though a good cutting paste carefully applied should work pretty well.

GuitarGuitar do a Gibson package of renovator, lemon oil for the board & metal polish, along with polishing cloth. I get my old-style Gibson wax spray sent over cos the lemon based pump style they sell here can scorch a finish if you're not careful.
But the Gibson set is excellent for all finishes; I use it on all my guitars & they have different surfaces & ages.