Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

FS/FT Ken Lawrence Chamberbrase II

nobodysprefect

Er, I guess I should've seen this coming.

So far this is the best fretless I've had, and I've had Rob Allen, Rick Turner and Skjold. This is the best made of the lot (by far) and as a fretless bass, incredibly good. The looks are a matter of taste, I dig the looks a LOT.

I find I prefer my German carved upright for jazz.

Ken makes about 20-25 basses per year and these cost a fair bit new. I'll be taking pics today, as we've got plenty of sunlight today. This bass has been played with roundwounds and has modest marks on the fingerboard. If lined fretless isn't your cup of tea, adding frets wouldn't cost too much, and this would be a wicked, wicked fretted bass as well.

35"scale
Alder body with Soundholes
Myrtle top
set neck
lined fretless ebony fretboard
Seymour Duncan pickups in ebony coversHipshot Hardware
Seymour Dubcan 3-band electronics with coil switches

Asking 3700 quid, trade value somewhere in the excess of 5k, unless I'm getting something very easily sold + cash. Might trade for e.g. a Fodera or a [i]very [/i]collectible Fender of any sort. Something + cash always works well.

Edited by nobody's prefect

That is a fantastic price for this bass! Ken's work is definitely most popular in the US, but he is definitely one of the best and still something of a hidden secret in Europe, despite having made amazing basses for over 20 years. Quite simply, this must be one of the finest basses ever sold on this site. The quality of the woodworking looks stunning.

He also made a nice guitar for James Hetfield.

http://filepit.freewebs.com/montyjay/jamesguitars/KLEXP/jamesklexpbw.jpg