Why become a member? ×

Styrofoam cases

Beer of the Bass

My band are talking about a potential gig in the spring - not confirmed yet but it's going to involve a plane journey, and the gig itself is doing several sets a day outdoors over three days. If the gig is confirmed, I'm thinking about picking up a cheap laminated bass as a knockabout travelling/outdoor bass for the situations where I don't want to use my old German flatback. It would also be handy for busking in dodgy weather.
So, what I'm wondering is whether people would trust the styrofoam type cases (as supplied with Gear4Music basses, for example) when flying with a laminated bass. I've not seen this type of case in the flesh, so it's hard to be sure.

Hire a proper Stevenson case and take your German bass. Those styrofoam things are great for domestic touring but there's no way I'd trust one in the hold of a plane. Or better still, hire a bass out there. Saves a lot of grief & excess bagged fees, especially if you were only going to bring a crap knockaround anyway.

I just don't fly with a bass anymore. I will get the promoter to hire or take an eub. I have flown to 4 continents with a DB in a Stevenson case, it's hell, and you become a massive target for bribes. I've shelled out hundreds to Indian, African and middle east customs officials, no prejudice there, it's just the way they run things in those countries. India are trying to do something about it. [url="http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-south-asia-13616123"]http://www.bbc.co.uk...h-asia-13616123[/url]

Edited by jakesbass

Short, practical answer about the styrofoam cases:

No.

Longer answer:

Perhaps they're ok for home/car or van/gig, but nothing more...(the kind of thing where you could get away with a bag, but would rather something thicker just in case!) The foam'd have to be much thicker to withstand any significant impact/bending load. A friend of mine received a styrofoam violin case (new) which was flown in a single wrap of bubble wrap from Belgium. Something had clearly been put down/landed on it, and it was caved in. Luckily, that was just an empty case, but if it had contained an instrument, it wouldn't have looked too healthy!

A few years ago, when the styro cases were just getting popular for cello, a shop I was doing some work for had a load of them in. The fittings (hinges and catches) were attached using 1/2" screws into the foam. They were tumbling apart on the shop floor!

Of course, they may be better now...