Why become a member? ×

bogart basses

SGL

Hi y'all
I'm thinking about buying this bass, early '90s bogart with carbon fiber (graphite) neck and blackstone body. There isn't much about these basses on the internet- durability, build quality etc, and no videos on youtube that I can find. Can anyone who owns\used to own one of these share some thoughts about it? Sound samples and videos would be terriffic.
I'm also thinking about trading it for my pedulla rapture (5 strings, 2005) which I didn't quite like. do you think it's a fair trade?
Thanks!

Only played one - a 4 string that the Gallery had the last time I was there, but really liked it, except for the hideous body colour! Nicest graphite neck I've played since it's a satin finish (don't know if that's standard though). Whether it's worth it to trade for your pedulla or not - only you casn decide that... I'd say yes, but each to their own.

I bought a secondhand one earlier this year & I love it:
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/136368-bogart-skc-5-string/page__hl__bogart__fromsearch__1"]http://basschat.co.u...__fromsearch__1[/url]

The neck is absolutely fantastic & the build quality is superb too.

Couple of things to be aware of (if you're not already):
Firstly, if it's like mine then you won't be able to use double ball end strings with it. If it has the "step" at the headstock end that allows the use of double ball end strings then it's very likely you'll have to string it E-C as there's not enough room for a thick B string (I was told this by Stefan Hess at Bogart basses recently).
This is the email reply I got from him:

[i]"Hi Rhys,[/i]

[i]Don´t worry, this nut is original. But yes, you cannot use double ball strings. I don´t know why, but normally there should be a step after the zero fret. On this step the nut is placed so the is some space left that the ball ends are "locking" in the string anchors. Maybe we´ve changed this sometime and I forgot - could be ;o)....The problem with the 5-string was, that low B strings where to thick and strong to use in this way - the only possible configuration was a E-C configuration.[/i]

[i]Have a nice day![/i]
[i]Stefan"[/i]

Secondly, they are an absolute bastard to string up using normal string & the headstock clamps. I've found a way of doing it now which involves having to make little aluminium ferrules for the string to go in so the clamp holds them properly & doesn't snap them. I ruined three new sets of strings before I finally perfected a way of doing it. Be prepared for a lot of frustration.

As for swapping for a Pedulla - I'd say you'd be better off selling it privately & then just buying the Bogart.
I'm not disclosing how much I paid for my Bogart but I'm pretty sure it was a f*** of a lot less than a secondhand Pedulla Rapture would go for.

Don't let my somewhat negative comments about string changing put you off what is a fantastic bass. If you decide to get it & want any further help or advice please get in touch via PM.

Edited by RhysP