Why become a member? ×

Small rack rig

JimD

Hello there

Am doing some occasional gigs which need me to transport two 19" multi FX (plus stompboxes, mixer, leads etc). The rack units are old Zoom models which are really shallow - they're 1U high, but only about 3" deep front-to-back. So a nice ABS/aluminium rack box like the one in the marketplace currently would be great, but mostly overkill as all that front-to-back space would be unused.

Anyone got any experience of anything like this, and any solutions they've encountered? I'd really like to find something like those camera briefcases that are foam-lined, as I need to use a few stompboxes and a small mixer too. I already own one of the briefcases but it's just about 1/2" too narrow to take the 19" gear.

Similarly I recently got a nice ABS toolbox from Wickes - would have done the job great, but it's just too narrow to take two rack units.

So basically I'm looking for a light, hackable rack solution!

Any ideas?

Jim D

a lightweight rack bag a stanley knife and some velcro an easy solution could be knocked up in about 20 mins easily and most of them have pockets ample enough for the other bits.
i have done somthin like this before but dont have any photos anymore unfortunately.
if you can get a used rack bag cheap i can do a sketch of what i did for you.
if you are local enough i have a 4u slightly worn one you can have free