Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Aguilar DB112 - nasty burning smell!

andya

Ok then. At rehearsal last night, about 2 and a half hours into a 3 hour session, I'd just boosted the high-mid on my amp and the treble control on my bass for a bit more cut. Bass control on the amp was at about 2 o'clock and flat on my bass.

Just after I'd done that there's a nasty burning smell coming from the back of one of my DB112s. The was no noticeable change in the sound or drop in volume.

I've had a look inside the cab today and there's no visible signs of burning though the smell is still there. I don't think I was driving the speaker hard enough to be frying its innards. Anybody have an opinion on whether it could have been the horn attenuator/crossover rather than the speaker? Is that even possible?

I bought the cabs used a couple of months ago and have had no issues with them so far.

My amp is a GK RB1001 and bass at the time was an Epi T-Bird Pro.

Andy

[quote name='pantherairsoft' post='1375949' date='Sep 16 2011, 09:07 PM']I've had this before and it was the cable! Are you using proper speaker cable or regular jack/instrument cable?

Not saying that IS the issue - but something I have experienced.[/quote]

I'm using proper speaker cables but I get your drift. It's definitely the cab, there's little port-holes in the back and the smell was strongest there; even this morning.