Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Bach to Bassics

LastBass

Retired from any gigging I ever did years ago now and about to retire from the day job too, so it’s back to being a bedroom bassplayer. (Although it's my flat so I'll play where I damn well like.) Classical guitar is my main music these days, but I still love the bass. Twilight years project is Bach’s Cello Suites on bass. Used to play the G major and D minor, bits of the E flat major and C minor. I’ve blown the dust off them recently, and on fretless too just for a challenge.

My main bass now is a Warwick Corvette Standard 5 string either the red stained ash/ovangkol fretless that I bought new on a whim a few years ago and haven’t yet had time to really get to grips with, or the 1996 bubinga/wenge fretted I got from The Gallery last year to match the 4 string version I found really cheap in a local 2nd hand shop years ago. In the cupboard a Precision and a Noel Redding sig Jazz, as well as a Hohner B2AV 5 string that I love, but I wish I could find a way of playing it sitting down. All through a Trace Elliott BLX150.

Edgar Meyer is probably the bass player I listen to most now, but Jack Bruce has been my hero since Cream, also Danny Thompson since Pentangle (you can tell my vintage) though the young upstart J Pastorius’s contribution to Joni Mitchell’s In France they kiss on Main Street on Shadows and Light is the greatest bass playing in the world [i]anywhere ever[/i]. And I have tickets for both Primus gigs at the Albert Hall next April hooray!