Why become a member? ×

FS: Ibanez Soundgear SR1305-PD 5-string (1993)

Xmax

I'm selling my Ibanez Soundgear SR1305-PD 5-string bass guitar, which I bought new in 1993. This is a solid instrument made in Japan using high quality woods. She's been lovingly maintained in good condition. Over the years she's accumulated one or two small dinks at the bridge end near the strap anchor, some thumb wear around the B-string side of the neck pickup, and a chip on the edge of the headstock (see photos). There's no buckle rash and as you can see in the photos, the condition is generally good and clean.

The low B plays deep and clear thanks to the Padauk body that gives a solidly defined low-end and a clear, resonant high-end.

The 5-piece Bubinga/Wenge neck provides excellent tuning stability with flawless intonation right up to the 24th fret on all strings. Once new strings have bedded in it hardly ever needs re-tuning.

As currently strung with a set of DR High-Beams, with standard B-E-A-D-G tuning, the height at the 12th fret is 2.0mm on the G and 2.5mm on the low B.

The low string height combined with 17mm string spacing and the slimmest neck I've ever seen makes this bass play fast and solid - ideally suited to finger-style or pick. This neck feels great.

The active EQ has a bass boost/cut control and treble boost/cut stacked on one dual-concentric knob, while the sweepable mid frequency control and boost/cut are stacked on a second dual-concentric knob. The neutral positions of the cut/boost controls are detented so you know where you are. A wide range of tones are possible from this system. The pair of J-style humbucking active pickups can be blended using the balance control, adding even more tonal possibilities.

[u]Specs[/u]:

Scale length: [b]34"[/b]
Frets: [b]24[/b]
String spacing at bridge: [b]17mm[/b]
Width at the nut: [b]45mm[/b]
Width at the 24th fret: [b]67mm[/b]
Fingerboard radius: [b]305mm[/b]
Neck thickness at 1st fret: [b]19.5mm[/b]
Neck thickness at 12th fret: [b]21.5mm[/b]

Body wood: [b]Padauk[/b]
Neck woods: [b]5 piece Bubinga /Wenge[/b]
Fingerboard wood: [b]Wenge[/b]
Inlay: [b]Pearl Dot on fingerboard and edge[/b]
Bridge: [b]Gotoh 5-String[/b]
Tuners: [b]Gotoh[/b]
Hardware colour: [b]Cosmo Black[/b]
Neck Pickup: [b]Ibanez IBZ AFR-J5N active[/b]
Bridge Pickup: [b]Ibanez IBZ AFR-J5B active[/b]
Controls: [b]Volume, Pickup balance, 3 band active EQ with Vari -mid[/b]

The weight measured on my bathroom scales is 10lb.

This high quality instrument retailed around £1000 in 1993. Ibanez discontinued the solid padauk body in 1994, replacing it with a mahogany-padauk sandwich, so this padauk-only version is fairly rare. The model was discontinued in 1996. Later, Ibanez appear to have based the K5 on the 1994 SR1305. By comparison, the K5 has a mahogany body and a maple/bubinga neck with rosewood fingerboard, which are less expensive woods.

I'm selling due to G.A.S and I'm looking for [s]£499[/s] [b]£449[/b]. Moulded hard case and a brand new spare set of strings included.

I can send by carrier for I'd guess around £20 to £30, or you can try before you buy if you collect from Bristol.

[attachment=89035:IMG_3457.JPG]
[attachment=89036:IMG_3459.JPG]
[attachment=89037:IMG_3460.JPG]
[attachment=89038:IMG_3463.JPG]
[attachment=89039:IMG_3464.JPG]
[attachment=89040:IMG_3466.JPG]
[attachment=89041:IMG_3468.JPG]
[attachment=89042:IMG_3469.JPG]
[attachment=89065:IMG_3461.JPG]
[attachment=89043:IMG_3481.JPG]
[attachment=89044:IMG_3489.JPG]
[attachment=89045:IMG_3492.JPG]
[attachment=89046:IMG_3495.JPG]

Edited by Xmax

[size=5][b]PRICE DROP to £475[/b][/size]

That's less than half the price brand new 18 years ago, with strings and hardcase into the bargain!!!

Selling to fund a mid-life crisis in the form of a Stingray 5, having foolishly fallen in love with the Stingray sound. I'm still smitten, but beginning to feel guilty about parting with a dependable old friend.

Edited by Xmax

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

[size=6][b]PRICE DROP - NOW £449[/b][/size][size=6] !!![/size]

In time for Xmas, including all the extras previously mentioned.

I have to agree with adledman about how good these basses are.

And at this price - tasty or what? :)

• 4 months later...