Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Seymour Duncan 1/4lb (P) Hot Stack (J)?

DaveMuadDib

Hi guys,

I'm looking to kit my Squier VM Jaguar out with some Seymour Duncans, and I was thinking about going for the matched Quarter Pound PJ combo. But after doing a little bit of research, I'm now thinking that this might not be the best way to go about it. I've always been a fan of Humbucking Jazz pups, so I am now of the opinion that I should put a STK-J2 "Hot Stack" in the bridge to match the SPB-3 "Quarter Pound" in the neck. No hum, and hopefully lots of beefy rocky tone. But if I do that, would I be better off pairing the Hot Stack with a SPB-2 "Hot" neck pickup instead of the Quarter Pound? Or should I stick with my original plan?

Very inexperienced in this, so need some sound advice :) In my main bass, I'm using a stock fender P and a humbucking jazz prototype that I won't go into much more detail about... needless to say, it sounds fecking ace!

I put a Hot-Stack in the bridge of an Aerodyne Jazz bass, and kept the stock P-Bass pickup. It was a great improvement, retaining the same sound as the original, just giving it "more" presence and depth, plus the benefits of hum-cancelling.

This is the same pickup configuration that Duff McKagan uses, so have a listen to his tone, should be a good guideline.

[quote name='Lozz196' post='1367257' date='Sep 9 2011, 07:48 AM']I put a Hot-Stack in the bridge of an Aerodyne Jazz bass, and kept the stock P-Bass pickup. It was a great improvement, retaining the same sound as the original, just giving it "more" presence and depth, plus the benefits of hum-cancelling.

This is the same pickup configuration that Duff McKagan uses, so have a listen to his tone, should be a good guideline.[/quote]

Interesting! Yes, Duff sounds amazing, so that's not bad advice. Well, I'm converting myself from plectrum to fingerstyle at the moment, but this configuration will suit that too hopefully?

The stock Duncan Designed pickups in the jag are awful, so would I be well advised matching the J Hot Stack with an SPB-1 "vintage" P pup? From what I gather these are close to the stock fender p-bass pups. When I play my Jazz Special, I tend to roll back the volume on the P a smidge for extra bite anyway...

Pairing the Hot Stack Jazz with the SPB1 should sound good, if this sounds like stock Fender pickups. The stronger Hot Stack will give the bite, and you shouldn`t need to turn the SPB1 down.

As a pick player, couldn`t really say about finger-style, however I sold my Aerodyne to a mate, who plays finger-style, and he loves the bass, with both pickups on full. He plays African music, Bossa-Nova type stuff.