Why become a member? ×

Howard Saterly - Bass Doctor indeed

mikey_reed

Hi all,

just wanted to drop a quick thank you to Howard Saterley from Newcastle.....

Many Northern bassists, like myself discovered a little shop in the toon that Howard used to run called THE BASS PLACE.

well sadly that shop no longer exists however Howard is still in business and works from home in Throckley.

ANYWAY- onto what I was meant to be posting:-

10 years ago I discovered the bass place and had a bass made for me for my 16th birthday present, This bass has always been my favourite instrument ever but in my stupidity at university had if it de-fretted (beautiful Job by KGB in Birkenhead). however 2 days after I had this done my gig changed and i no longer had need for a fretless bass- so sadly my fave bass "Excalibur" was retired to a case.

Howard also built me another bass (for my 18th!) which was a 5 stringer also incredible and heavily heavily gigged, infact after a bit of a "do it yourself" paint job (think the colour was called "cyber turquoise!" it toured most of the Larger venues in this country. I took it with me for a year abroad away as well whilst working on a ship where very sadly it got badly damaged and had to be retired until I returned home........

so here I am with 2 custom basses both retired. what shall I do?

so I looked Howard up as I hadn't seen or heard anything of him in a few years to find out that he wasn't very well at all..... I sent him an email wishing him well and he asked about my basses and what I was doing with them, and offered that if I was ever in Newcastle to give him a call and he'd take a look. So i did.

I had a very short window of time (10 days) to get my basses working again before I took another tour (which I'm currently on!) Howard was good enough to combine the best bits of both instruments to create one super mega hyper bass......... Last Saturday I collected it and have subsequently not been able to not only take my eyes off it but not been able to put it down-

I've had all the "creases" of my idiotic youth removed (like the silly devils horns on the headstock- I got so sick of being asked- is that a BC rich!!!) and had the 5 string neck routed into the 4 strings body- the bridge fitted from the 5 and the electronics readjusted and my god- sounds amazing!!!!!!!!!!!

Folks I really cannot thank Howard enough for what he has done to my bass- I now have my dream instrument!

If you have a problem with yours or if you want one building I can recommend with TOTAL confidence going and talking to Howard. I am an international touring bassist using one of his instruments and have done for most of my major touring life-
Howard is a top bloke and really good at what he does!

Thanks

[b]Mikey Reed
Freelance International Session Bass Player
www.mikeyreed.com
[email protected][/b]

p.s. Howard, the beers are on you when I next see you :-D