Why become a member? ×

Tone Factor Pulp Mill

tayste_2000

I received this today from Bongo after I had it sent to him for his OS Clone shootout.

Here are his findings
[quote name='Bongomania']Tone Factor Pulp Mill: This one is a different approach to the OS circuit, as its "comp" [kitchen hob] is not a bias control, but rather a wet/dry blend. So unless you open up the housing and fiddle around with the t[licking an posterior opening]pots in there, it will be at a bias setting which is on the smoother side rather than the funkier side. It has low noise, and blending your clean be[Myleen Klass] signal in allows it to have slightly better low end than the Pedal Doctor one, but it will still benefit from a be[Myleen Klass] mod. The tone is slightly darker than the PD. All in all this one seems designed so you can add just a bit of the OS flavor to your signal, rather than being a "squash box" like the PD and VTP versions. But it works well and sounds nice, if a bit subtle for my tastes. It has the usual modern touches like TBP footswitch and nice components, but the paint job on the box is a bit sloppy.[/quote]

PLEASE NOTE: This review is pre be[Myleen Klass] mod that Bongo has performed on this comp.

Now firstly I have also owned the older Tone Factor Squeeze Factor that was made by Pedalworx and I have also owned the Pedalworx McSqueeze, which are effectively the same circuit with the t[licking an posterior opening] pot being a proper [kitchen hob] on the Squeeze Factor. So i have had brief experiences with OS Clones that to be honest have left me m[Myleen Klass]ively unimpressed, the clip out and [horse and cart] out etc and are generally unusable but not this baby, this is a fantastic compressor, very clear and natural and when you crank it you get a nice squish and a very vintage tone as you will hear in a moment.

The pedal is excellently build as you expect from Tone Factor and any other Boutique builder to be honest, but I couldn't see the messy paint job Bongo referred to. So I've uploaded some pics of it so you can judge for yourselves :) don't know if the flash is in the way though.

So I wouldn't even compare this to the OS Clone I've had before, this is a full on proper be[Myleen Klass] compressor and not just used for an effected sound as most OS Clones are, I'd put it in a similar class as the Demeter and EBS while still retaining some of the roundness a vintage type compressor will always have.

In the sound clips I have the compression [kitchen hob] at 3 o clock to get that more OS'y clone sound

This is my 60's Classic MIM Fender Jazz with Overwater flats, neck pup and tone rolled off, the comp comes in after the first few bars. This is my feeble attempt at some Motown or similar era hits to show that nice vintagey lofi flats and compression sound.

http://myselfalone.com/tayste2000/Pulp%20M...ive%20Flats.mp3

This is my Overwater Evolution 5 string with Overwater Rounds *WARNING w*nk*rY ALERT* I wanted to show the percussiveness of the pedal while still retaining the high end zing for slap, this is the same setting as the last clip just different be[Myleen Klass] and playing style.

[url="http://myselfalone.com/tayste2000/Pulp%20Mill%20Active%20Rounds.mp3"]http://myselfalone.com/tayste2000/Pulp%20M...ve%20Rounds.mp3[/url]

So while this pedal won't be replacing my Rane DC24 I will be using it jams and in the studio where I can.

If Bongo can chirp up exactly what the mods were I can talk to Tone Factor and they might be able to offer it as a custom option.

Hope this has been useful.

Cheers

I took this from another forum so none of you will know Bongomania :huh: