Why become a member? ×

WITHDRAWN

Skezza

I bought a pair of Bartolini Hum cancelling jazz bass pickups off a fellow basschatter. They arrived today . They are the 59J 5 string humcancelling with two coils end on in each pickup. I checked the resistance the bridge pickup was 5.35kohms and the neck was 1.6kohms. Bartolini do not put values on their website so I could not check if this was the correct value of each pickup. The two pickups I hace taken out of my bass collection 315 were 7.7kohms each but quite noisy and very susceptable to the noise induced by the low voltage recessed bulbs often used in pubs and wine bars.

I have not used this guitar for a couple of years because of the noise so I put a post on items wanted and was offered the Bartolinis.#

Anyway fitted the Barts easy peasy possibly the easiest pickup change I have ever done BUT

The bridge pickup works fine the neck pickup only works halfway along it's lengthe under the G and D strings not at all under the A E and B strings. I have tried tap testing the pickup and only get noise from the one end. I need advice is this fubar is it normall (it cannot be) is it sortable

any suggestions welcome. I have not named the basschatter as I have not been able to speak to him yet.

skez

Edited by Skezza

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1357917' date='Aug 31 2011, 07:27 PM']I have a Bart J pup which was damaged by excessive solder heat. It seemed to melt the connection inside, but as the pup is resin sealed it's impossible to find out for sure without collateral damage.[/quote]

Thanks
but in this case the hookup leads were at least 10 inches long and I only had to make two quick solder connection on each (hot and Earth) there is no way I have heated up the pickup.

skez

[quote name='Skezza' post='1357927' date='Aug 31 2011, 07:35 PM']Thanks
but in this case the hookup leads were at least 10 inches long and I only had to make two quick solder connection on each (hot and Earth) there is no way I have heated up the pickup.

skez[/quote]
Haha I was talking about t'other end. :)

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1357973' date='Aug 31 2011, 08:05 PM']Haha I was talking about t'other end. :)[/quote]
In which case i have no idea what you are talking about.

One end is the pickup---- no soldering iron there
the other end ---solder connections

have i missed an end

confused

skez

[quote name='Skezza' post='1358052' date='Aug 31 2011, 08:44 PM']In which case i have no idea what you are talking about.

One end is the pickup---- no soldering iron there
the other end ---solder connections

have i missed an end

confused

skez[/quote]
Ok maybe it's a different type I've not seen then. Mine has a copper base plate (earth) and the wires are soldered to 2 protruding pins which go down into the pup and connect with the coils (heating these may release the coil wire inside).
I'm only trying to help here and don't deserve your sarcasm. I was merely opening up the possibility that the pup had been soldered at the pup end at some point.

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1358091' date='Aug 31 2011, 09:01 PM']Ok maybe it's a different type I've not seen then. Mine has a copper base plate (earth) and the wires are soldered to 2 protruding pins which go down into the pup and connect with the coils (heating these may release the coil wire inside).
I'm only trying to help here and don't deserve your sarcasm. I was merely opening up the possibility that the pup had been soldered at the pup end at some point.[/quote]

You are right you dont deserve sarcasm as you were trying to help and I apologise. I was getting a bit confused. Yes they are the same as in the pic but they appear to be factory soldered and not touched.

As half the pickup is working and there is only two core cable then there must be electrical continuity therefore it must be an insulator breakdown causing a short circuit so missing out a load of coils hence the low restance.

skez