Why become a member? ×

Adding an output socket...

waldemar

Hi all.

Strictly speaking this isn't bass related, more electronics/amps/speakers.

I've recently been able to get my hands on an old Hammond Sounder organ. Apparently it's the worst Hammond ever made - and that makes it more than good enough for me.

It was made in the early 70's and doesn't have any sort of line-out/headphone socket, just an internal speaker.

Now, how easy/difficult would it be to add a 1/4 inch output socket to this thing (at a level similar to, say, that of a guitar) so that I could hook it into external fx/amps/PCs etc.?

Do-able?

[quote name='waldemar' post='1356478' date='Aug 30 2011, 04:27 PM']Hi all.

Strictly speaking this isn't bass related, more electronics/amps/speakers.

I've recently been able to get my hands on an old Hammond Sounder organ. Apparently it's the worst Hammond ever made - and that makes it more than good enough for me.

It was made in the early 70's and doesn't have any sort of line-out/headphone socket, just an internal speaker.

Now, how easy/difficult would it be to add a 1/4 inch output socket to this thing (at a level similar to, say, that of a guitar) so that I could hook it into external fx/amps/PCs etc.?

Do-able?[/quote]

I'd buy a cheap DI box and wire it across the volume control. Do-able by anyone with a soldering iron and some basic knowledge of how not to get killed by electricity.

Cheers Bremen.

Sounds fairly straightforward. I do my own soldering on my basses so should be alright with that part, it's the technical bits that confuse me :)

So, I'm guessing that doing it this way the signal intensity going into the DI box will be dependant on how the volume is set? What if I wanted to bypass the internal speaker altogether? Just take that out of the equation altogether?

Just found this circuit [edit fig.2]:

[url="http://sound.westhost.com/project35.htm"]http://sound.westhost.com/project35.htm[/url]

will this enable me to run a cable into the DI unit (which would have otherwise connected to the internal speaker) and then run another cable back from the DI unit to the internal speaker if needs be?

Cheers man.

[quote name='bremen' post='1356482' date='Aug 30 2011, 04:33 PM']I'd buy a cheap DI box and wire it across the volume control. Do-able by anyone with a soldering iron and some basic knowledge of how not to get killed by electricity.[/quote]

Edited by waldemar

Haven't had a chance to open it just yet - waiting to move into my new place, just planning it as a project for now...

Hmm, i can see how that would complicate things - unless I built a switch and resistor module into the the DI box which would allow me to have a 'use with speaker' and 'use without speaker' mode.

I've probably got it all hopelessly wrong...

[quote name='BigRedX' post='1356590' date='Aug 30 2011, 05:44 PM']What's the amp in the organ - valves or transistors? If it's valves you'll need to have a dummy load substituted for the speaker if you only want sound via your new output.[/quote]

Edited by waldemar