Why become a member? ×

help

seanbarnes

Im running my bass through a sansamp, and its all good but as soon as i turn and face my cab, there is crazy feedback. how do i fix this?

There is also a problem with the cutting off and out this never used to happen with my old lead and only started with a new lead. i thought/think it will defiantly be the lead but my input jack is a bit wobbly. Is there a bigger possibility of it being the jack or the lead?

thanks for any help you can give me.

[quote name='seanbarnes' post='1355869' date='Aug 30 2011, 01:42 AM']Im running my bass through a sansamp, and its all good but as soon as i turn and face my cab, there is crazy feedback. how do i fix this?[/quote]

I use a Fishman preamp with my EUB and if I grab the wrong lead during an instrument change and send an active bass through it, it squeals like hell. :)

If you consider a 'normal' amplification chain it goes:
SIGNAL -> PREAMP -> POWER AMP -> SPEAKER

When I get it wrong it goes:
SIGNAL -> PREAMP (active circuit) -> PREAMP (Fishman) -> PREAMP -> POWER AMP -> SPEAKER

So way too much signal by the time the signal reaches the power amp.

As a starting point in your scenario, I'd turn the sansamp down and the power amp up to compensate.
Just to make things interesting, feedback can also be frequency specific, so some judicious tinkering with tone settings might also be called for.

[quote name='seanbarnes' post='1355869' date='Aug 30 2011, 01:42 AM']There is also a problem with the cutting off and out this never used to happen with my old lead and only started with a new lead. i thought/think it will defiantly be the lead but my input jack is a bit wobbly. Is there a bigger possibility of it being the jack or the lead?[/quote]

This happens quite a lot after using particular types of leads.
I'd suspect that your original lead had a slightly oversized tip (used to make a more solid connection against the jack socket spring).
This will, over a period of time, pushed the contact back.
Your new lead probably lacks that oversized tip and the spring no longer makes contact with it.

If it's an open 'skeleton' type socket then it's a relatively simple task to bend the contact back into the correct position, but if it's a sealed barrel type then replacing it is the only option.

HTH