Why become a member? ×

Did I Allow My Keyboard Player To Do Something Really Daft?

Mykesbass

Gigging last night was a bit of a squeeze and ended up setting up with the keys directly behind me. Very little room so he put his amp (a small but very pokey Alesis) on top of my Peavey Classic 120 valve power amp (clear of the vents). Half way through the first set, the Peavey coughed and spluttered to a halt. Thought a valve had gone but plugged it all in this afternoon, and ok, nowhere near gig volume, but ran the amp for over an hour with no problem at all. Could the other amp have caused mine to pack up - vibrations, magnetic fields etc?

Thanks,
Mike

Edited by Mykesbass

Unlikely to be magnetic fields etc. possibly vibration, but that would be more intermittent. most likely thing is heat.
I think they have a thermal cutout (most amps do) so it doesn't damage the circuit if it gets too hot. Even if the vents were clear, the restricted airflow combined with the heat from being a band in a very confined space might have been enough to raise the temp a few degrees more than your amp would like... If you were driving it as well it might just have overheated a bit.