Why become a member? ×

Baritone Guitars

cheddatom

[quote name='cheddatom' post='255391' date='Aug 5 2008, 01:58 PM']Ta for all the replies (Nancy), but this has been revived due to Wild Frog.

Since starting this thread I did actually buy a Yamaha baritone guitar off ebay and I just have to adapt some bass strings now to get it tuned as low as I want. It's very nice![/quote]

Yeah, sorry about hi-jacking your thread cheddatom. I thought that rather than being annoying and re-requesting already posted info, that I would just use this thread.

How low are you going to tune the Yamaha, and how are you adapting the bass strings? Did you get chance to play it before you took the strings off?

I have been playing it with a standard set of baritone strings. It sounds great - especially amped. I have it tuned quite low at the moment, but there's not enough tension. I had a bass string on for the lowest string, but I had to unwind the end of it to make it fit the tuning head. I want some new bass strings to put on, but ruining a new pack of expensive bass strings it slightly out of my price range at the moment!

[quote name='vegas_hooker' post='255861' date='Aug 5 2008, 10:58 PM']Surely your guitar playing friend could just buy some lower gauge strings and use what he has? or an Octave pedal?

Seems an excessive and expensive way to go.[/quote]

The baritone we bought was £90 between us, and can hold tension at very low pitch, and can handle high guage strings. Sure a guitar might have been able to handle it, but it's always a risk when you don't know what you're doing. An octave pedal will not track polyphonically, so not really an option. I think he's gone off the idea now anyway, we have a friend who is quite good at bass, so we've got him to do some bass to new stuff we're working on with me on drums. It's not as much fun but......