Why become a member? ×

Promoting the new album

Muzz

Soooo, the album's all but finished (covers and CDs ordered, should be a couple of weeks max) and we need to get it out there for review on the most influential sites we can.

Does anyone have any tips/pointers for good review sites out there? There seem to be zillions, so I'd like to hit the biggies first.

Cheers,

Muzz

Jeez, this question shows how "out of the game" I am these days!

I used to work as music journalist many moons ago (mid-90s - early noughties) and back then the Interweb was nowhere near as powerful a tool for bands to promote themselves as it is today.

Unfortunately I don't have a clue where to start in terms of which are the best reviewing sites. But I have an old friend who still works in music PR/A&R, and he's always banging on about the 'Direct-to-Fan' model being the big thing these days - ie. by-passing the old, traditional channels and creating interest in your music by engaging directly with potential fans yourself, rather than via the usual review sites/zines, distributors, labels and so on. It's apparently all about:

1. Identifying your fans
2. Developing relationships with your fans
3. Marketing to them directly and "monetizing" your relationships (ie. selling stuff! And not just music: merchandise too)
4. Using relationships and your fans' own social networks to expand your fan base.

Or something like that!?

Sites like Facebook, YouTube, Nimbit and so on and meant to be key to this strategy.

Bear in mind here that I don't use any of these social networking sites myself, so I'm not speaking with authority here! Just passing on advice I've heard second-hand. Also, this strategy probably depends on the market your music is suited to. The direct-to-fan approach is really aimed at young audiences who are social media savvy, but I guess it could apply to others too.

The point here is: maybe ignore the review sites and instead find ways of letting potential fans hear and review your music for themselves, and recommend it to their friends that way.

Hope that helps. So much for the days of the NME, eh?? :)

Edited by Skol303