Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Washburn Scavenger

Paul S

Edit - I was polishing it today before getting all the innards installed and I just can't part with it. It is too nice, in uniquely un-used condition for a 30yr old. Whatever money I would realise by selling it isn't enough to replace that glow of pleasure I get looking at it. Even if I only noodle about at home for short periods.

Thanks for looking, anyway!

11lbs of top notch Japanese bass guitar going for an absolute steal. I never thought I would sell this but, realistically, I am never going to play it as anything over 9lbs is impossible these days because of a back injury. This is pretty well my last bit of heavy gear to go.

This is a Washburn Scavenger bass made in Japan, I believe the Yamaki factory rather than Matsumoku, in 1979/80. It is a true 'loft find' and in absolutely remarkable condition for it's age. The story - the guy I bought it from got it 8 years ago from a lady in Coventry, very cheap, to put into an odds and ends shop for re-selling. He liked the look of it and kept it back, but never got around to playing it. She said it belonged to her son who had a small band before he went to university, after which time it got stuck in the loft until they decided to get shot of it. The timing of this would indicate he bought it new or nearly new. No wonder it is in such great condition!

The craftsmanship is evident throughout the bass. Similar overall to a P-Bass, single split coil pup with cream 'vintage style' covers, single volume and tone controls. Neck is gorgeous - virtually nil fretwear - rosewood fretboard, 40mm wide at the nut, so about the same as the skinnier precisions. Bridge is a high mass one and it can be strung through the body or the back of the bridge. Body and neck finished in high gloss black. Overall I would say it is a notch up in quality compared to the Westone Thunder basses I have owned and as good as my Fenders.

Sounds - not remarkable. There is a bit of growl with the tone on full or just rolled off a fraction but I think this is one area it could be improved upon. In fact I modded it by upgrading to a Kent Armstrong pup and added a P-retro onboard pre-amp. With that set up is sounded just completely and utterly awesome. At the time I believed it to be a keeper and of sufficient build quality to make it worth spending some money on.

Looks-wise it is unusual and a head turner - like a giant double cutaway Les Paul. Just extremely heavy. If you want a P-bass sound, with P-Bass simplicity, but without P-Bass looks then this has to be worth considering.

Here are some pictures I took when I first got it 20 months ago (and it still had the plastic film on the control cavity cover!):

[attachment=87740:wash1.jpg] [attachment=87741:wash2.jpg] [attachment=87742:wash3.jpg]
[attachment=87743:wash4.jpg] [attachment=87744:wash5.jpg] [attachment=87745:wash6.jpg] [attachment=87746:wash7.jpg] [attachment=87747:wash8.jpg]

I have now removed the pre-amp and Kent Armstrong pup and have not yet got around to putting the guts back into it. The only difference since those pictures were taken is that there is now a 6mm hole in the control cavity cover that housed the P-retro LED - other than that it is in the same condition as when I bought it.

I will sell this as it is, with all the bits but not fixed back together, for £150 - seems pointless getting it all put back if the first thing the next owner does is change the electrics. Or I can get it back to working and strung for £160. I have an almost new Hiscox extra large hard case (STD EBP - it won't fit into a standard one) that cost £80 - if you want this as well I will sell it for an extra £30. If not I'll try to squeeze it into a gig bag.

Collection from Benfleet in Essex, meet half way or delivery within a reasonable distance for the cost of fuel - at the moment I am not inclined to courier it. It would be a large and heavy package!

Imagine how much a Fender Precision of this vintage and in this condition would cost!!

Quick edit - I would additionally entertain offers around £175 on a Washburn Raven electric guitar - the 6 string little brother.
[attachment=87748:raven1.jpg]

Edited by Paul S