Why become a member? ×

Ohms help Head/cab

ironderby

Hmm... I'm sensing a theme to these threads. :)

I know it's boring technical stuff, but you really should try to wade through the wiki. [url="http://wiki.basschat.co.uk/info:amps:impedance_and_wattage"]http://wiki.basschat.co.uk/info:amps:impedance_and_wattage[/url] - it's not too bad if you ignore the odd equation!

A short summary for the time challenged:

[list]
[*]Speakers are rated by their power rating in “Watts” and their impedance in “Ohms”.
[*]When matching a speaker to an amplifier you should obtain the power ratings (in Watts RMS) and relevant impedance (in Ohms) values of both.
[*]For a transistor amp, as long as the impedance (in Ohms) of the speakers is the same or higher than the minimum impedance of the amp you're safe to use them together.
[*]You can use any power output amp with any power handling cab. If any of these combinations makes bad sounds (like distortion) then turn down and/or stop cranking the bass EQ excessively or damage may occur to the speaker.
[/list]

But to answer your question - you will be fine with that combination.

*Edited to clear up a possible source of confusion.

Edited by Musky

[quote name='ironderby' post='1346687' date='Aug 20 2011, 08:34 PM']Okay so the head is: 4 ohms output power 2x500 rms into 4 ohms, the cab i would like is a 4x10 (4ohms) am i alright to connect them, will anything blow? thanks[/quote]

If you mean is it ok to connect the 2 outputs to a single cab, the answer is only if the amp is bridgeable. If it's not then you will blow something.

Edit: If you're talking about the LG1000 then it's not bridgeable, so to get maximum juice out of the amp you need 2 cabs rated at 4ohms each

Edited by DirkThrust