Why become a member? ×

GK2001rb Thermistor kills amp!

roonjuice

The other day i plugged in my 2001rb in bridged mode into my new gk412neo and the head blinked on and off a couple of times, and then the magic smoke came out the back (Blown thermistor). The speakon is good and the setup of the amp was totally correct, I have since used the cab with an SVT and all is well.
Has anyone had any experience of this happening or could point me into the right direction as to why this happened?
Cheers guys!
r

Particular attention was paid to the setup. It was most certainly plugged into the speakon out labelled BR/L
The cab was set to bi-amp with the amp tweeter engaged with the the right side output up full, and the left hand out put down, (along with all other eq/gain controls). :)

[quote name='roonjuice' post='1344422' date='Aug 18 2011, 02:33 PM']Particular attention was paid to the setup. It was most certainly plugged into the speakon out labelled BR/L
The cab was set to bi-amp with the amp tweeter engaged with the the right side output up full, and the left hand out put down, (along with all other eq/gain controls). :)[/quote]

That sounds spot on to me. :)

If the cab works with the SVT then you can rule that out.

Apart from an amp 'defect', the only other thing that readily springs to mind is the speakon cable - if it's the one that GK supplied then all should be well.

If it's a cable designed to be used as a standard Bridge Mode cable then you need to make sure that it's wired 1+ and 1- (not 1+ and 2+).

[quote name='roonjuice' post='1344656' date='Aug 18 2011, 05:46 PM']the cable is a standard 4 pole speakon and checks out fine. i'm stumped![/quote]

Well, you had the amp connected properly, the cab is working fine with a different amp and the speakon lead is ok.
Must just have been an amp defect that decided to come to the fore at that time.