Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

modding rather than buying bass

ibanez_ownz

i wanna modify my jazz copy purely cuz its my first bass and its got alot of sentimental value right now its at my perents its haggard but has pertential im a complete noob at this kinda stuff but hey what the hell everyones gotta start somewhere ive already sorced parts neck bridge pickups its kind off a extended project becuase i have hardly any money i just dont know anything bout wiring and stuff like that so iff someone could give me a crash course of what to do what to buy and where from it would be much aprechiated

If you're starting from scratch with this kinda stuff, the best thing you can do is get yourself a book on guitar repair. There are lots of good ones and these cover the basics. This forum is really good if you have a specific question, but for a general overview of modding/repairing/building your own a good book will be worth its weight in guitar-tech bills :)

[quote name='ibanez_ownz' post='1343094' date='Aug 17 2011, 01:43 PM']i wanna modify my jazz copy purely cuz its my first bass and its got alot of sentimental value right now its at my perents its haggard but has pertential im a complete noob at this kinda stuff but hey what the hell everyones gotta start somewhere ive already sorced parts neck bridge pickups its kind off a extended project becuase i have hardly any money i just dont know anything bout wiring and stuff like that so iff someone could give me a crash course of what to do what to buy and where from it would be much aprechiated[/quote]

And breathe.... :)

Have a look through the build diary threads here and on talkbass for ideas of stuff to do, and how to wire it. There are diagrams all over the web, google is your friend. So are axesrus and wdmusic and allparts.

Just go for it, and when you hit a problem (specific one) start a thread about it, or search for it. Someone else will have had the same problem before you, it will probably have been me. :)

Go one step at a time. Take lots of pictures as reference in case you want to return it to standard. Unless you are fitting a really fancy electronic "carlos fandango" control element I wouldnt be too bothered. If you can wire a plug you will be fine. You will need to learn to solder. Its not hard but a little practice helps. For what its worth, when I did my bitza jazz the biggest improvement by a mile was pickups. I now have the sound I was after and even though I am tempted to replace the tuners I really dont think I will get an aural return on my money. So it will stay as it is until I get itchy fingers again!

You crack on mate. Dont forget the idea is to have fun!

As mentioned before, there is a book about Fender type guitars. I have seen it advertised on Amazon. Might be worth seeing if your local library can get one, I know they stock other Haynes titles :)

Edited by mentalextra